cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorcycle loading on a hitch

caymann
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where to post, so i thought i try here...

I would like to haul a motorcycle on a Blue Ox SC2000 hitch. It takes up to 1000lbs. I am wondering how to load the motorcycle on this hitch?

It is suggested, there be two people, one handling the bike and other pushing it from behind to load it up/dn the ramp. Unfortunately i mayn't have two people as sometimes i am by myself.

Is there a winch mechanism i can add to this loader so that using a remote control and by myself i can load/unload the motorcycle?

thank you
jim

PS> My MH is capable of carrying this load with no problem so let's not discuss that.
20 REPLIES 20

Yaj
Explorer
Explorer
We have a street/trail on a front rack and a scooter on the rear rack that I walk along side as I power them up the ramps. They both are very easy to load as the scooter you don't have to control the clutch. The other one is loaded so as to keep the clutch handle on the side I'm walking on. I built the racks and was able to set them up specifically for their respective bikes. Here is a copy of a previous postpost with pictures

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are other lifts out that that do come with winches. I've actually looked at these before and I've never even seen one like this where you would have to get a heavy bike like that up the ramp. The ones with winches lower all the way to the ground and can be loaded with one person. Just ride the bike on, tie it down, and raise the lift.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
I load mine on the back under its own power. I do use some throttle and just slip the clutch some. As it turns out, the width of my ramp actually squeezes on the tires just a touch, which means the bike will not fall over even with out being bolted down. If I where you, I would have someone help me load it and hold it the first time. Once it is in place, mark the spot on the ramps where the tire stops, and weld short vertical plates on either side the tire about 2 inches high. That way, it will stay in place, and you don't have to hold on to it, while you strap it down. I would also suggest making sure your jacks are down on the coach, so the coach can not shift with the weight and surprise you. If your coach has air bags, you could always dump the rear bags, (leave the front one up). That will lower the rear some and make your life easier. My bike weighs 640 lbs and I never have help.

One other thing I did. Since I custom built my own rack, I welded vertical supports that actually bolt onto the bike frame (HWY board mounts). This way I do not use any straps. Just 2 bolts tightened down and the bike is rigidly held to the rack.

pics start here:
http://s213.photobucket.com/user/Daveinet/media/PC800/DSC06906.jpg.html?sort=3&o=7
IRV2

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
450lb BMW lol my VTX is near 800. My KLX650 was ~330lbs and I never had any issues loading it on my hitch carrier on the back of the truck, but it wasn't quite that high off the ground (I'm 6'2" as well).

Some cinder blocks and a 2x12 on the ground to stand on and make you a little taller.

I bet you could weld a little something on the back of that carrier, use one of those tri-wide loading ramps for 4 wheelers (so you could use your feet) and then just ride the bike on to the carrier.

I can't imagine using a winch. Then you have to use half a hand to run the winch remote and then you have 1.5 hands to control the bike.

I ride into my toyhauler. Unloading I leave the bike off and in 1st gear. As soon as the rear tire gets out of the trailer and onto the ramp I drag the clutch and use the front brake to control my speed. Front brake alone and the front slides (and I don't want to lift a foot for the rear). I know some BMWs had the integrated braking so the front applies partial to the rear (K1200GT)...
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

caymann
Explorer
Explorer
I never thought about loading the bike on its own power and was not sure of that is a good idea.

One thing is, the bike handles are 44" off the ground
The hauler itself is 25" off the ground
So that is a total of 44+25=69" off the ground, for the bike handles.
And i have the ramp, that is 72" long to help the bike load.

I am 6'2" = 74" so the bike handles are literally at the eye level.

Also this BMW bike is 450lbs but in future i might go for heavier BMW adventure bikes that weighs 650lbs

I cannot imagine loading a 450lb bike at my eye level on its own power.
That is why i was thinking a winch or something that i could possibly weld on the other end of the loader

Do people load heavy bikes in gear (no throttle)?
Looks like i might need a ramp for myself to walk up along side the bike.
If so, what kind of ramp could i look for that i can fold and store away at the basement of the MH?

thanks
jim

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Prepare your ratchet straps on the front tie downs (near the front tire). Have them already hooked to the carrier, and laid out where you will be able to easily access them.

Start bike, place in gear, and let it climb onto the carrier itself with you walking next to it. When the front tire is against the stop, shut off bike, reach down and grab your straps and attach them to the bars, berg rings, triple-trees, wherever you are going to attach them.

If I was to load my VTX1800 on a carrier like that, the above is how I would do it. It IS how I do it for my dirt bikes on my hitch carrier (yes I know they weigh less).
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny