cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorcycle loading on a hitch

caymann
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where to post, so i thought i try here...

I would like to haul a motorcycle on a Blue Ox SC2000 hitch. It takes up to 1000lbs. I am wondering how to load the motorcycle on this hitch?

It is suggested, there be two people, one handling the bike and other pushing it from behind to load it up/dn the ramp. Unfortunately i mayn't have two people as sometimes i am by myself.

Is there a winch mechanism i can add to this loader so that using a remote control and by myself i can load/unload the motorcycle?

thank you
jim

PS> My MH is capable of carrying this load with no problem so let's not discuss that.
20 REPLIES 20

teamfossil
Explorer
Explorer
Hey look! They even show my bike (Sportster)! I made my own, but it is very similar to what Blue Ox does. As for loading, I have a good (Wheeldock) that the front wheel goes into. Once the front wheel is in, you flip a lever and you can walk around tying things down as needed. They are a bit pricey, but how much is that bike worth? As for loading, I sometimes put the front levelers down and that lowers the back to make loading easier. At the tender age of 68 reaching over the tank to work the clutch can be a bit iffy. You should have seen me load the V-Strom!
'00 Winnebago 37G Adventurer
'03 Suzuki V-Strom "Vroomhilda"
'86 Gold Wing SE small i
'05 Interstate enclosed trailer "MY garage!

Qoute from two great Americans, Jackie Gleason and George Thorogood:
"And awaaay we go!"

caymann
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
caymann
i think you should look at the 'lift' style carriers
they work like the loading gate on a freight truck
roll/ride the bike onto the platform
tie it down
then raise it to the carry position

I have been thinking about an overbilt system too.
It appears, for a few extra bux, it may be the way to go.
There are several used overbilts on the market.
At least this may take out all the guesswork.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
caymann wrote:
Dale.Traveling wrote:
Concerning the height of the bike once on the stand why not used the coach levelers/jacks to raise the front end up? Considering the length of an average coach a three inch change in height at the front could amplify to 12 inches at the rear. Rasie the front end enough and you might not even need the ramp.

I have thought about this and probably should try how much does the bike hauler platform comes down by raising the front end. The bad news is, i don't have hydraulic leveling - only air leveling and it doesn't have as much play as a hydraulic leveling jacks do. I do expect to gain a few inches but i may be speaking ahead of me.

jim

I think the measurements are a little backwards here. If you lift the front of the coach, the fulcrum will be the rear axle which is a lot closer to the rear bumper than the front. I'd have to know the exact measurements to do the math, but raising the front end three inches will more than likely only lower the rear by about 1/2 inch.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

MrWizard
caymann
i think you should look at the 'lift' style carriers
they work like the loading gate on a freight truck
roll/ride the bike onto the platform
tie it down
then raise it to the carry position
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
One other possibility is to purchase a couple of platform steps - the kind made to sit under your entrance way step. These are very solid, and run around 50 bucks a piece. That would raise you up, once the bike was up, so you could maintain control.

Second item is, I'm not sure about your riding habits, but you need to train your self to use your first 2 fingers on the brake, and your last 2 fingers around the throttle. This way, you can run the brake and the throttle at the same time, having enough RPM to move the bike up hill, but dragging the front brake to prevent it from rolling back down. The amount of brake and throttle can stay the same, and you just slip the clutch to make the bike move forward. I learned this from riding in stop and go traffic in downtown Chicago, so it was second nature to use the same technique when loading the bike. You can also do this with the clutch, so you have full grip of the bars. This allows you to stop midstream, and step up onto a platform step, so you are at the right height.
IRV2

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
If you do not have a platform wide enough that you can sit on the bike with both feet down for support from ground up to load level, do not use bike power to load the bike. You may get away with it but eventually it will end ugly. Either with the bike falling and you barely getting out of the way. Or the bike falling and you ending up under it. Like stated above there are systems out there that do this safely. $2000 might seem like a lot but it looks like a really good deal when you are laying in a hospital after being pulled out from under a motorcycle.

Right on!!
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

caymann
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
Several years ago I had made a setup similar to the one your are considering.... except I mounted it to the front of the motorhome. It was an old 454 gasser and I never had problems with weight or overheating.... but I digress. On my setup, I What I did to facilitate single handed loading was to get the bike up there in position and tied down. Then I fabricated a couple of upright angle iron pieces that were welded to the base channel and were notched out so that the front footpeg mounts fit into the notches.
Now, when I slowly ride the bike up the ramp and onto the channel, it goes forward until it slides into the notches in the uprights. That holds the bike in place while you attach the tiedowns... worked like a champ for many years.

The SC2000 already has something similar built in to arrest the front tire. But first, i have to get the bike up the ramp into the hauler to its end. That is what we are discussing, unless i misunderstood you. 🙂

jim

caymann
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
If you do not have a platform wide enough that you can sit on the bike with both feet down for support from ground up to load level, do not use bike power to load the bike. You may get away with it but eventually it will end ugly. Either with the bike falling and you barely getting out of the way. Or the bike falling and you ending up under it. Like stated above there are systems out there that do this safely. $2000 might seem like a lot but it looks like a really good deal when you are laying in a hospital after being pulled out from under a motorcycle.

The ramp width is a little bit more than the tires, say an additional few inches. This is not wide enough to ride up on the bike and i would not try that in my sane mind.

jim

caymann
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
Concerning the height of the bike once on the stand why not used the coach levelers/jacks to raise the front end up? Considering the length of an average coach a three inch change in height at the front could amplify to 12 inches at the rear. Rasie the front end enough and you might not even need the ramp.

I have thought about this and probably should try how much does the bike hauler platform comes down by raising the front end. The bad news is, i don't have hydraulic leveling - only air leveling and it doesn't have as much play as a hydraulic leveling jacks do. I do expect to gain a few inches but i may be speaking ahead of me.

jim

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Several years ago I had made a setup similar to the one your are considering.... except I mounted it to the front of the motorhome. It was an old 454 gasser and I never had problems with weight or overheating.... but I digress. On my setup, I What I did to facilitate single handed loading was to get the bike up there in position and tied down. Then I fabricated a couple of upright angle iron pieces that were welded to the base channel and were notched out so that the front footpeg mounts fit into the notches.
Now, when I slowly ride the bike up the ramp and onto the channel, it goes forward until it slides into the notches in the uprights. That holds the bike in place while you attach the tiedowns... worked like a champ for many years.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
caymann wrote:
Not sure where to post, so i thought i try here...

I would like to haul a motorcycle on a Blue Ox SC2000 hitch. It takes up to 1000lbs. I am wondering how to load the motorcycle on this hitch?

It is suggested, there be two people, one handling the bike and other pushing it from behind to load it up/dn the ramp. Unfortunately i mayn't have two people as sometimes i am by myself.

Is there a winch mechanism i can add to this loader so that using a remote control and by myself i can load/unload the motorcycle?

thank you
jim

PS> My MH is capable of carrying this load with no problem so let's not discuss that.

Cayman,
Well Sir, We've carried a Honda GL 1800 Goldwing on the back of our Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 CAT and used what is called the Hydralift motorcycle carrier/lift. It's by far, the highest quality lift on the market. But, they're very proud of it too. That lift is around $4500.00 BEFORE taxes, shipping and install. But, it's an outstanding lift and does ALL the work for you.

We recently changed our mode of operation and now, we haul the Goldwing in the back of our new toad, a GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4. What we use now is called the "Rampage" motorcycle lift/carrier. It too does all the work for you. You tie it down at ground level and then push a button and, the winch takes it up and loads it just like those "roll-back" wreckers you see for retrieving cars. It's a great lift and works well.

And, the good part, you can mount it across the back of your coach. It's an outstanding system for that purpose.

Now, it's entirely up to you if you want to "Balance" that kind weight (your bike, not mine) at that high. If anything goes south and that bike starts to have a mishap of some sort, your ability to stop it from falling is slim and none. With that system, you don't have to do ANY work or, balancing. And, you can still tow. Those Rampage lifts are less than half of the Hydralift but, with a bit of perseverance, you can find them on Craigslist for around half or less. We got ours for $1500 and it had only been used once.
Scott

P.S, Cayman, you have a PM.
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
One other VERY important issue. When you load and unload the bike, the ramp should be set up to go toward the passenger side of the vehicle. The reason is that if you ever break down on the side of the road, and need to take the bike to pick up parts, it will be much easier to unload it down toward a ditch, than into 2 lanes of traffic. I made this mistake with mine. While I did not need to run any errands, I did however need to unload the bike, to get at my spare tire. I was fortunate enough to be able to pull into the median to unload the bike.
IRV2