cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorhome headlights.

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
My headlight lenses fogged over. Got really bad to the point it was affecting the light on the highway. I tried one of those kits to remove the fog and that turned out to be a joke. So I decided to replace the headlights. Just like everything else in a motorhome they use something manufactured by someone else. I investigated and found out my Southwind has Volkswagen headlights made in Germany. They came from a 1999 to 2005 VW Golf GTI. I went to NAPA and found out that replacement units were over $400.00 a piece. I called Volkswagen and they said $316.00 a piece.

I groaned. Then I went to e-bay. The complete unit could be bought for less than $150.00 but they appeared to be for a VW that was tripped out by a young driver. Then I found a company that makes glass replacement lenses. I don't know if they make them for other applications.

I am posting this as a heads up. Before you replace the headlight for your unit at a high cost, do some investigating. You might luck out like I did. The glass lenses for my VW headlights cost less than $70.00 for the pair, including free shipping. And there was a video instruction on how to remove the old fogged plastic lenses and replace them with the glass lenses.
'02 Southwind 37U towing '05 Chevy Colorado with Blue Ox tow bar and Brake Buddy. 8100 GM/Workhorse Chassis. Retired UAW-GM.
19 REPLIES 19

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
The 3M restore kit will work if you follow directions and do the step by step procedure. Takes about an hour per lens. My time is worth virtually nothing per hour.

MrDoneIt65 wrote:
My headlight lenses fogged over. Got really bad to the point it was affecting the light on the highway. I tried one of those kits to remove the fog and that turned out to be a joke. So I decided to replace the headlights. Just like everything else in a motorhome they use something manufactured by someone else. I investigated and found out my Southwind has Volkswagen headlights made in Germany. They came from a 1999 to 2005 VW Golf GTI. I went to NAPA and found out that replacement units were over $400.00 a piece. I called Volkswagen and they said $316.00 a piece.

I groaned. Then I went to e-bay. The complete unit could be bought for less than $150.00 but they appeared to be for a VW that was tripped out by a young driver. Then I found a company that makes glass replacement lenses. I don't know if they make them for other applications.

I am posting this as a heads up. Before you replace the headlight for your unit at a high cost, do some investigating. You might luck out like I did. The glass lenses for my VW headlights cost less than $70.00 for the pair, including free shipping. And there was a video instruction on how to remove the old fogged plastic lenses and replace them with the glass lenses.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Mulberry912
Explorer
Explorer
I cleaned my headlights last summer. I used Barkeepers. Made a paste and gently worked the lense. Within 10 minutes they looked brand new. Then I took RedMaxPro and put 4 coats on each lense to seal them from oxidation. After a year then still look like brand new.
2002 Fleetwood Fiesta 31H Workhorse Chasis 8.1 LTR V8. Many factory upgrades

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
Received the new "Glass" lenses today. Perfect. No more fogging. And they were not thin little pieces of glass, they were thick and fit the headlight as good as the plastic OEM. One of those jobs I actually had fun doing. Tried to find a way to post a before and after picture of the lights but doesn't seem to be available. Good luck and thanks for the input.
'02 Southwind 37U towing '05 Chevy Colorado with Blue Ox tow bar and Brake Buddy. 8100 GM/Workhorse Chassis. Retired UAW-GM.

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
Snomas wrote:
I bought mine on ebay for &110 they were 2000 Lincoln Ls. They work great. Shop around and you will be amazed at the different prices!!!

Same here. Much less expensive than going to the OEM. Compared to OEM pricing, I (or in this case Snomas and I) each basically got ours at two for the price of one. Of course, you'll have to determine the cross reference to the headlights in your unit.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
wny-pat, this is why I really like RV.net. Through this website you have supplied information that I didn't have to give. I checked out the Daniel Stern website. Now, thanks to you, others will have better information than I did just doing a google search. Am I to assume that Daniel Stern is the supplier that I purchased my glass lenses from? E-bay does not give the name of the person.

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat, I don't know Daniel Stern and the glass lenses go on the existing headlights. One of the E-Bay sellers sent me an e-mail reply that stated the lights they were selling were for dressing up a VW Golf. They stated I could purchase different bulbs. But since I am only replacing the lens and not the entire fixture new bulbs won't be necessary. When I e-mailed the E-Bay seller I put the numbers I got from the lens in the e-mail. I guess I made a mistake in my original post. They were Hella's not Haas. My mistake.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
MrDoneIt65 wrote:
If the "glass" lenses are as good as the seller claims, I won't have to use toothpaste or buy kits to clean my headlights. If manufacturers are going to use a plastic headlight lens you would think they would come up with a way to protect them from the road grime and uv rays that attack them. Why should you have to use a kit or buy new lights after 4 or 5 years of driving.

Ron,
You should have gotten the Hella e-codes from Daniel Stern and you really would have had something. What type bulb came with your?
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
And if you use a kit to remove the fogging then the headlights will do it again. I don't ever remember seeing a fogged glass headlight lens.

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
If the "glass" lenses are as good as the seller claims, I won't have to use toothpaste or buy kits to clean my headlights. If manufacturers are going to use a plastic headlight lens you would think they would come up with a way to protect them from the road grime and uv rays that attack them. Why should you have to use a kit or buy new lights after 4 or 5 years of driving.

PF_PM
Explorer
Explorer
Someone suggested toothpaste as a compound.. I may try that with a decent buffer pad.
2005 Newmar 34' Kountry Star, 8.1L W22, Blue Ox 10K, Honda Pilot, Bijon Shitzu (Sassy) dash dog. Nine Provinces, Two Territories, 47 States, Northern Mexico... so far..

camperkids1025
Explorer
Explorer
In the past I have used 2 different kits they were just OK. This past week I used a 3-M kit it's a 4 step process and all is well they look brand new. I even did my Ford PU that had the headlights clear coated and it cleaned them like new it's a GREAT kit... Jim
The Camperkids Jim & Lois
3 Grandkids Maria, Christian, Antony (part timers)
1999 Newmar Mountain Aire 37.5ft, Ford V-10, F-53 Chassis, Bilsteins Shocks W/ Bilstein Steering Stablizer, HWH Levelers

RE-TE
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an electric drill and $20.00 you can cear up the fog on your headlights.
Go to Wal-Mart automotive section you will find a blue or black box with thelens cleaner and a buffer had for your electic drill. Follow the directions and wala in 10 minutes you have new headlighs.
I have done no less than 4 sets and still have cleaner left.
I believe rubbing compound wil do the same trick.
Buff them out and wipe wih a clean towel.

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
And if you find replacement lenses, take your time removing the old ones. They have a heat sensitive sealant around them. You have to heat it up with a hair dryer or a heat gun. I used a heat gun. I suggest wearing nitrite gloves. Then DO NOT put masking tape or painters tape on the chrome around the light while you clean the excess sealant out of the sealant area. It will pull the chrome off the plastic. Take you time, don't get in a hurry, and do not get frustrated. I did it, you can too.

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot one thing. I took a picture of one of the headlights in my motorhome and sent it to 3 of the companies selling them on e-bay. 2 of them responded. One said they could not guarantee the lights would fit. The other said they would definitely fit but that since they were "dress up" lights for a VW Golf they might not put out enough light for a motorhome. But that I could buy different bulbs. The ones they sold had a neon ring around the headlight bulb to make them look cool. But it helped me with the information I was looking for to fix my problem.

I will post what happens when I get the glass lenses.