cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mountain driving and towing with a gas class A

hoopers
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering what opinions are out there about towing 3000 lbs behind a newer gas class A motorhome. Mostly in the mountains. F53 with the 365 hp Ford motor.
Also, are the brakes good enough to stop or slow down on steep hwy grades? I would think good trailer brakes would help too.

Just looking for opinions...
2014 Winnebego Vista 30T
2017 Ford Expedition
Texas gulf coast, Colorado, or on the road camping somewhere
34 REPLIES 34

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The engine and transmission can handle the climb with no problem. The newer Ford gas coaches have plenty of power and more than some DP's. Don't worry about it even if you have one with a 24,000 GVW. The brakes can also handle the decent just fine if you use common sense and don't ride them on the way down. Slow down and let your transmission supply most of the braking. Supplemental braking in the toad will help if you need to stop but for it to activate, you have to apply the coach brakes, which you want to avoid as much as possible while descending.

Doug156
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a newer F-53, then by keeping the cruise control on will cause the transmission to downshift to maintain the set speed. This will apply going both up and down hill.
Doug & Mary Jane
2014 Bay Star by Newmar
2009 Subaru Toad
Ziggy & Maxi, the hounds
Retired and loving it

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
No issues pulling 3k# on the f53 provided you are within your weight limits. Going downhill utilize your tow/haul mode to leverage the engine brake. Pulling our civic down an 8% descent for 3 miles near our home on a regular basis I rarely need to even use the brakes. Aux braking system is usually a good idea though.
2013 ACE 29.2

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my opinion. If the Class A Gas MH weighs more than 15,000 pounds I wouldn't do it. Not that you can't do it. But it is just because it would drive me crazy to drive a slug like that. Uphill would be frustrating. Downhill would very nervous. Downshifting will be your friend going downhill. Keep off the brakes as much as you can.

What is your rear gear ratio? Hope it is 4:56 or lower.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a trailer? A Car?

Going up you'll slow down and downshift but it's not bad. Just need to be patient.

Either way you need brakes. There are some limitations on tongue weight to consider for towing a trailer also...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad