Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who have a DP, what kind of mpg are you getting>
30 REPLIES 30

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Along with that comfort of cruising at 70 mph, we also have to think about stopping. It happened to me today driving in Florida near Orlando. A tow truck was traveling in the right lane to pick up a stranded motorist. Well, he doesn't plan his departure to the emergency lane very well.

The guy is traveling at normal speeds then suddenly slows down. I'm about 10 vehicles back and everyone is breaking hard. I start breaking hard too and do just fine but what is this guy thinking? I put on my flashers but we are really breaking hard to avoid this idiot.

Our 6 speed retarder works well while braking. I'm just hoping everybody behind me is stopping too. All is fine. What a stupid tow truck driver causing this near chain-reaction accident.
And, therein, lies the rub. Our coaches are easily capable of driving comfortably at 70 MPH and beyond and will perform great in 99% of the situations we encounter. I guess that's why we need to be careful even when our coaches are capable of greater speeds and spirited handling.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
I find myself driving faster in this coach than our previous Monaco Dynasty. Even though the Dynasty drove nice, the new one drives even nicer. I really feel comfortable cruising at 70 mph with ease on long stretches of freeway.
I've found myself creeping up the speed range as well and now try and stay at 67. Even so, I find myself at 70 mph often.

Along with that comfort of cruising at 70 mph, we also have to think about stopping. It happened to me today driving in Florida near Orlando. A tow truck was traveling in the right lane to pick up a stranded motorist. Well, he doesn't plan his departure to the emergency lane very well.

The guy is traveling at normal speeds then suddenly slows down. I'm about 10 vehicles back and everyone is breaking hard. I start breaking hard too and do just fine but what is this guy thinking? I put on my flashers but we are really breaking hard to avoid this idiot.

Our 6 speed retarder works well while braking. I'm just hoping everybody behind me is stopping too. All is fine. What a stupid tow truck driver causing this near chain-reaction accident.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
I find myself driving faster in this coach than our previous Monaco Dynasty. Even though the Dynasty drove nice, the new one drives even nicer. I really feel comfortable cruising at 70 mph with ease on long stretches of freeway.
I've found myself creeping up the speed range as well and now try and stay at 67. Even so, I find myself at 70 mph often.
`

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
One of my least favorite things to do is fill up (going to a truck stop). I'm able to go 1,000 miles before that dreaded duty and still have over a quarter of a tank of fuel. When I fill up, the computer tells me that I can go 1,500 miles on 230 gallons. Then every 3rd or 4th tank, I top off with DEF.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
When I towed a trailer with my SUV, the mileage didn't bother me as much as the frequent fill ups. 6-8 MPG isn't a big deal with an 80 gallon fuel tank but it's a bigger problem with a 20 gallon fuel tank. I'm happy to have a 200 gallon tank now.

I'm with you on the tank to tank range....

my long bed f350 has the larger 39g tank (short beds are 29 gal)....i ADDED a 50 gallon aux tank in the bed (only gave up about 10 inches in bed depth)...for a total of 90 gallons....THEN i added a gear vendors dbl overdrive so i can squeak out almost 19 mpg on the interstate at 75/80 mph.

I can squeeze in another 5-7 gallons in the tanks which nets me a comfortable 1600 miles between fill ups.

I wish they'd build our coach w/ larger than twin 70 gallon tanks...just for the range.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
bshpilot wrote:
Ive got several friends that didnt listen - bought f150s and are pissing and moaning about their 6-8 mpg when towing LIGHT travel trailers. A friend of mine just bought a new f350 and he's pleased w/ his 11mpg (over the 6mpg he was getting in his suburban) !
When I towed a trailer with my SUV, the mileage didn't bother me as much as the frequent fill ups. 6-8 MPG isn't a big deal with an 80 gallon fuel tank but it's a bigger problem with a 20 gallon fuel tank. I'm happy to have a 200 gallon tank now.
`

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I own an f350 - i know you DONT get 15mpg (around town) or more than 17 on the highway - EMPTY.

Ive got several friends that didnt listen - bought f150s and are pissing and moaning about their 6-8 mpg when towing LIGHT travel trailers. A friend of mine just bought a new f350 and he's pleased w/ his 11mpg (over the 6mpg he was getting in his suburban) !

towing our toad costs us a 1/4 of a mpg at most - sometimes we don't even drive it.
Don R.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
bshpilot wrote:
The same people that scoff at our mpg are the same ones that think they can get 15-19 towing a big 5th wheel in their 1 ton diesel....i always remind them that even if their mpg is the same as ours, they CANT use their 5th wheel or travel trailer going down the road ๐Ÿ˜„
Many people told me to get a FW to get better mpg, but I think most of us with Class A MH do much better than this depending on how they camp. Most campers put as many if not more on their tow vehicles as they do on their MH. My tow car gets 40 mpgs and the MH gets 8.7 mpgs. Depending on the trip if I drive 1000 mis in the MH I drive 1250 in the tow car so the combination gets about 25 mpgs. The longer you stay at the same CG the more miles you put on your tow car or truck. In a MH your total mpgs go up in the case of a FW it goes down.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
The same people that scoff at our mpg are the same ones that think they can get 15-19 towing a big 5th wheel in their 1 ton diesel....i always remind them that even if their mpg is the same as ours, they CANT use their 5th wheel or travel trailer going down the road ๐Ÿ˜„
Don R.

paintedtugboat
Explorer
Explorer
Our MH gets about 8.8 according to the Freightliner LBCU but our Jeep gets around a 100 MPG. ๐Ÿ™‚
Bob and Joan Alexander
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH (Phaeth)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport (Hope)
Lobo & Juniper
Full-timers since 2014

http://www.phaethtofulltime.com/

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
im not a DP (but ill give you numbers as a reference)....i believe our 12speed tranny makes the world of difference (although our larger than most, 12.8L, engine could help).

We weight in at slightly over 32k lbs (w/out the toad), and that included 150g of fuel & 220g of fresh water.

We score a very consistent 9.9 MPG (houston to virginia & back - which we run several times a year) and thats w/ the cruise set at 72 mph (w/ the occasional right foot assistance to 80, where necessary).

Worst I've ever seen was 8.9 mpg (we were trying to make up some time).
BEST I've ever seen was 13.3 mpg (blacksburg va, to destin fl) w/ the gen running (and a few hour nap in a rest area) and towing the jeep....average speed was 60 mph (when rolling).
Don R.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Without the toad on flat land, between 7.5 and 8. Up and down mountains, in windy conditions, city driving, using the hydronic heating, pulling a toad, etc will all decrease that.
`

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
We average 8.5 on coach in signature
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

jdevans22
Explorer
Explorer
10 to 12 with speed between 60 and 65. Our coach is a 38' Damon with a 330 cat. Weight is about 27000#.