cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Muffler needs replacing

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I've been told my muffler and straps need to be replaced. The estimate for parts & labor will be about 1000.00. My question is is this a repair that a reasonably handy person with decent mechanical knowledge and skill could tackle on their own? Where would one source the parts? Normal parts store or online? It's a 2005 HR Ambassador with a Cummins 330 ISC engine.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
19 REPLIES 19

corgidad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Endeavor with the same engine and probably the same muffler set up you have. I replaced the muffler and brackets 2 years ago and it took about an hour. I bought all the parts at NAPA for about $150.00. Go for it yourself.

mmccwill
Explorer
Explorer
Go on ebay & get the AERO muffler for about $100.00 -- It`s stainless steel & a straight thru muffler -- I, & many other of us Monaco Coach owners have done this change over -- You probably have a 4 inch exhaust system -- Makes for a little better fuel mileage -- Bill Willard

Bruce_Brown
Thats insane. If it were me, I'd get the dimensions off of the old one then go to the Donaldson Exhaust Catalog and get a part number.

I'd search that part number and I'd guess you'll probably end up somewhere like Ryder Fleet Products where you'll see they're a lot less than $1000.

Another option would be to just remove it all together. I know a few people who have done this and have been very happy with the results. I know on my Allis 7000 tractor I just run a straight pipe - mostly for looks, but it works well and sounds great. :B
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
wtmtnhiker wrote:
I've been told my muffler and straps need to be replaced. The estimate for parts & labor will be about 1000.00. My question is is this a repair that a reasonably handy person with decent mechanical knowledge and skill could tackle on their own? Where would one source the parts? Normal parts store or online? It's a 2005 HR Ambassador with a Cummins 330 ISC engine.

I'd contact a salvage yard, Google search

most difficult part of doing this is getting the old one out.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thats the cost of doing business I guess. DPs are not an inexpensive way to RV.
You might start contacting large muffler shops, muffler mfgs, class 8 truck shops etc to try and find out who makes them as a starter. Then try to buy one from them. Worst case, the chassis mfg should be able to help you out.