cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first dumb dumb moment

hazmatpony
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I consider myself the type that is always on watch for anything,anytime, but I have to admit my own attention lapse. My in-laws live a few blocks away from us, and have a dump station in the front yard, well after a long trip I was very tired and attempted to dump my tanks. All was as normal, pull up, get gloves and all fittings,sewer hose and fresh water hose hooked up to flush tanks after dump. I first dump black, then wedge flush lever down on toilet to refill/flush black tank while simultaneously dumping grey tank.

Normally this works quite well for me, but my father in law got to talking and, you guessed it, all of a sudden i see and hear water running everywhere!! At first I thought fresh water hose came loose, but then I realized black tank was full and overflowing INTO motorhome!!! Thankfully I had already dumped and was just flushing, but none the less I still spent 4 hours vacuuming and shampooing carpets. Note to self....DO NOT ALLOW DISTRACTIONS WHILE ON DUMP DUTY!!! I am comfortable with my silliness and can laugh at myself, so please laugh and learn from my dumb dumb moment:)
12 REPLIES 12

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the interior light to come on one afternoon to do some mundane detail in the MH. Thought for several minutes what could be wrong. You guessed it; I had forgotten to turn on the aux. switch! I told DW and she told that it was OK and she still loved me.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
workhardplayharder wrote:
What about one of these ?

Wow, great little timer valve - very handy for filling freshwater tank or watering the lawn. Thank you!
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I guess that stories like these and that movie are why some never use their commode. Just make sure that the sewer hose can't jump out of the sewer hole while dumping, Yuck!

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
I did it TWICE this past June. Was suffering from congestive heart failure and was too exhausted to think correctly. First was some on the bathroom floor and second it was gushing out of the roof vent. NOT FUN!!!
charles weidman

Rich_Yvonne
Explorer
Explorer
It was on our maiden voyage and after a great night's sleep I, for the life of me, could not figure out how to unlock the camper door. The dog was barking the wife was yelling and asking should we use the escape window to exit... What a crazy morning and all before a cup of coffee 🙂
2008 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab LB 6.0 Vortec
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
What about one of these ?

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
We have all had a moment that was not so great... Glad you got it all cleaned and ready for your next trip.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago DW and I were on our first long road trip with our new to us Class C. On our way to Utah to visit son, and family. Stopped for the night in Cheyenne, Wyoming. When it got dark it got cold, very cold. DW and I were about to freeze. Sometime way up in the night she woke me up to say "this thing does have a heater in it". Suddenly I said "you are right" and got up and turned the furnace on and we lived happily ever after. Still enjoy telling this story. If you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at? See, you are not the only one. Just like Dog Folks said.......
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Your title said "Your first dumb moment."

It will not be your last!!! Let you in on a secret, most of here have a long list! You good attitude will really help for the future.

Welcome to the club.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, same on when setting up the toad - don't get distracted! I have a checklist for that too!
Roaming Full Timer

hazmatpony
Explorer
Explorer
I now have a new procedure for dumping, call in-laws and tell them to meet me at my house while I go to their house and dump:C

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Add to that rule never allow distractions when setting up or breaking camp period. It will have bad consequences.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)