cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My steps

captron33
Explorer
Explorer
My electric steps do not retract when i turn on the motorhome key, they started to work intermittently. It doesn't matter whether the power switch is on or off. Any ideas??
20 REPLIES 20

ca_HARTS
Explorer
Explorer
I had similar problem and it was a ground wire at the step motor was loose. Hope it helps.
Tom

captron33
Explorer
Explorer
Update, 15 aug. Ok i tested them this morning, amazing but they worked perfectly ,i didn,t do a thing,as said very frustrating, sooo i got under there and cleaned and tightened both ground wires, sprayed and adjusted the magnet in the door ( i still think that is where the problem is ) . We will see if they continue to work properly. I change locations in 2 weeks, that will be the true test. Thanks for all the replies.

captron33
Explorer
Explorer
I,ll work on this tomorrow and post and update, thanks for the suggestions. They are out and won,t stow when they should ie. the ignition is turned on.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Did you check the yellow wire for power from the ignition switch?
What do you mean they are not working? Have you checked for motor power?
Have you cleaned the two ground connections?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

captron33
Explorer
Explorer
Now they are NOT working, very frustrating! Any help with this intermittent problem??

captron33
Explorer
Explorer
Ok i have it/them working for now , i adjusted the magnetic switch and cleaned both sides with qd electronic cleaner spray. I,m still not sure that would answer why they would not retract when i turned on the ignition key, i thought they would retract regardless of other switch positions.

captron33
Explorer
Explorer
Yes i saved it to my ipad. I,ll check the ground wire first when it quits raining.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
captron33;

I looked for SCF steps and found two things of interest, one is they don't make the steps anymore but there may be some parts available and the following link gives info on troubleshooting.

Step Manual

It appears from the manual that the steps used a window lift motor just like Kwikee so you should be able to replace that if it's bad.

Good luck and please let us know the solution.

Looks like Bud beat me to it, now you have two clicky's to use.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

captron33
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks enble that should really help..

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I believe your steps are made by Lippert who owns Stromberg.
Check yellow wire for voltage from the ignition switch.
Step manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Most Step problems are the result of a bad Ground!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

captron33
Explorer
Explorer
I sprayed all areas with silicon lub. I,ll do it again tomorrow.

hottubkid
Explorer
Explorer
Grease them and the motor gears
hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV

captron33
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, i found my owners manual,,,they are a SGS/Frigette coach step. 2 steps.