cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery light switch 1996 Fleetwood Southwind

colonelcorto
Explorer
Explorer
The previous owner of my coach updated the interior and painted over all of the switch labels in the process. There are 4 switches on the left as you walk up the stairs into the coach. One turn on the outside light above the door, one turn on the interior light closest to the door, one disables the automatic steps (light up red when disabled), and then there is the mystery switch. It is by itself away from the other three switches. I know that it does not control the cargo lights, there is a main switch on the dash that does that. When I pull out all of my drawers I can see that is travels under the sink cabinets where it joins other wires in a loom. It goes toward the main electrical center.

There is a second mystery switch under bedroom cabinets that can only be seen if you are laying in the bed and looking up. I speculate that this one disables the radio speakers that are in the bedroom but I cannot test this as the factory radio and tape deck no longer power on.
11 REPLIES 11

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also possible it's just an extra switch for future upgrades, or it could be for some accessory that your motorhome didn't have installed. I have an empty switch on the dash that has power to it, but hooked to nothing.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
My step switch is located on the opposite wall from the main 3 light switches you refer to, but just below the step switch on the other side of the door is the basement light switch. Open your basement bins and try the switch.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

btilfan
Explorer
Explorer
on mine the extra switch is the battery disconnect.
2007 Damon Astoria Pacifica
My next hobby.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a light switch for our storage bays by our door.

don_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Check your storage compartments for lights ?
Don & Louise

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes they have small floor lights controlled by a switch- often a 3 way with another switch in the bedroom.
-- Chris Bryant

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
My 2000 Southwind had a mystery switch also. It turned out to be for the light over the recliner, directly behind the passenger seat. I thought the bulb was burned out, but I "accidently" had the mystery switch in the on position and viola, the light came on.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, our 1996 Southwind only has the three switches. Steps, entry light and porch light.

Apparently a previous owner installed the mystery switch, away from the original three switches, for whatever reason.

Do you have any outside speakers?

I would just start the process of elimination and check lights, etc..

Let us know when you solve the mystery. I'm curious. 🙂

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
When i got my 5th wheel I had a mystery switch like that. Tried everything in the trailer...

Then one evening I was flipping the switch off and one and the wife comes in the trailer and asked me why the two real large lights on the outside of the trailer was going on and off...

Turns out it was the SCARE lights on both sides of the trailer near the rear was what was being controlled...

Google image

These light were great for backing into a camping spot... Being on the side of the trailer up high they did not fall under any DOT Lights requirements rulings...

Try flipping the switch on your mystery switch after dark and see what may light up outside the trailer...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

colonelcorto
Explorer
Explorer
ddndoug wrote:
We had a 96 Tiffin that had a light on the street side of the coach and the switch was located near the front door IIRC. Worth checking out.

Doug

Thanks for the reply, my coach does have this street side light but it is also controlled by the master cargo switch.

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 96 Tiffin that had a light on the street side of the coach and the switch was located near the front door IIRC. Worth checking out.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10