cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NADA Pricing

kencleo
Explorer
Explorer
When looking to buy a used Class A, how much should one rely on NADA pricing? I am mostly looking at Private Party's and they seem to be all over the board in pricing, for similar rigs. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I find NADA as a generalization and look at averages then price from there. Never buy without a second, preferrably pros opinion. Could save big bucks.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I found an older Southwind that I loved and I mean loved, the owner came down on the price to a level 6K over Low Retail on NADA. By the time my DW agreed to go look at it with me, it was sold. There have others that started between average and low NADA that I would have been willing pay more than the asking price for and some that I wouldn't give a second look to at lower than LOW NADA. You just have to find the one you want and decide what it is worth to you.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

kencleo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the helpful input. It appears that it just takes a great deal of research from all available sources. In real estate you can get realistic comps, but being this is my first adventure in buying a Motor Home, I am learning there is no hard numbers. I will most likely be asking more questions as this process goes forward Thanks

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
I have no faith in NADA prices, as I question where they get their information. When dealing with a private owner, I would base my offer on the specific unit, condition, equipment, maintenance, etc. and what you are willing to pay. Do you research on what similar units are listed for and go from there.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
NADA I have found is often somewhat more than I'd be willing to pay. I generally look at it and say at least 10% less.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
NADA is one tool. During my search, I used nada, the ppl site, ebay, and various other dealership websites to estimate value. I found that the higher quality coaches which were in demand were going for high to above high nada. Lower end coaches were going for below low nada. I looked for 2 years and seriously looked for the last year. I went to all of the local shows, looked at lots of pp sales, and went to local dealerships multiple times since their used inventory is fluid. I ended up pulling the trigger on a used monaco from a dealership that I had visited 3 times. During the previous visits I thought they had junk. I bought my coach before Christmas. They later told me sales were slow, and I would never have received the same deal in the spring. Based on my research, while I am skeptical of salesmen, I think they are correct. Best wishes on your search.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
I know what you're saying about prices being all over the place. I found that out when I was looking for Winnie three years ago. I found the individual seller asking prices to be lower in the East. I gathered my information, thought through the owners asking price and then made him an offer that embarrassed me. He didn't accept. I stayed with my offer. One week later he emailed me that if I was still interested he would sell to me at my price. In three days I was in Arizona and ended up driving the unit back to Texas.

Note: if you are not embarrassed by the offer you make, you are offereing too much money. That is my two cents. Best of luck.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
I shoot for 20% below NADA low retail. But as a bunch will tell you NADA is not the bible. It is basically based on mathematically calculating depreciation based on age. If you like it and its worth the money, you will probably be happy. You will find people that tell you that you paid too much even if it was free. I'm not an expert, just enjoy.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
I have found NADA to be wildly inaccurate on RVs.