cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need advice on House Battery Replacement.

SanDiegoScubaDi
Explorer
Explorer
Question on house battery replacement for my 2005 Seneca. Unit has a pair of Interstate SRM 27 Marine/RV deep cycle batteries. Rated 750A cranking; Reserve Capacity 160A.

Should I just replace with same battery, or do you have suggestions on a better battery pair to put in. I got just over 4 years on these, so not sure if that is what most of you experience or if there are better options out there.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...
Derek, Lykke...
and Kane and Sweet Pea our Llewellin Setters who really are in command of our rig!

2005 Jayco Seneca 35GS
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
7 REPLIES 7

ronfisherman
I would replace your original batteries with a pair from Costco. Best return for your money.
I helped a friend with same unit as yours. Found that Jayco had mounted the Charge Wizard on top of the PD9180 converter. PD says to never do this. Putting on top of converter can cause converter to improperly charge batteries. Check yours out. Move it at least 12" away from convert.
Converter was also mounted on top of carpet. Cutting off air circulation. Put spacers under converter to help with cooling.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

It depends on what your usage is. Since I'm a power hog and use a medium large inverter (2500 watts) 12 volt jars work better for me.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
A pair of true deep cycle batteries will serve you better than the RV/marine batteries. Easiest source is probably a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries from Costco. You could also get a pair of 12 volt deep cycle batteries, but you'll have to go to a real battery store for those.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Normally COSCO, Walmart etc carry GC batteries.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Marine deep cycle are used for say trolling motors etc. You might look at the typical 6V golf cart (GC) battery which are deep cycle batteries. They might be the same footprint but are 1"+ higher. Plus they have to be wired in series. They are designed for the typical house battery type of usage.

There are many posts on this subject on these boards.

Bob

SanDiegoScubaDi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response. Yes, the specs came off the battery itself. So if these batteries are not deep cycle, is there a better replacement that is? They do say Deep Cycle on the battery label, but they also say Marine/RV, so it is a little confusing...
Derek, Lykke...
and Kane and Sweet Pea our Llewellin Setters who really are in command of our rig!

2005 Jayco Seneca 35GS
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It sounds like 4 years is good for you, replace with the same batteries.

There are other options like GCs but they are slightly different size and wiring.

BTW Those specs are for starting batteries. Marine batteries are NOT deep cycle batteries but they are slightly better than starting batteries for house usage.

Bob