cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

need help roof coatings & sealants

genentina
Explorer
Explorer
I was advised that our 22 year old EPDM rubber roof on our Class A Georgie Boy ought to be cleaned and coated with roof sealant, like what you see at Home Depot as preventative maintenance.

Something like Henry Elastomeric coating:

Henry:

Is this the right material? Is there better stuff to use on a rubber roof?
Get off the phone and drive!
11 REPLIES 11

genentina
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I'll go read the cans and tubes of sealants and see what is water based and which are not.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Stay away from the elastomeric water based products. Place a test spot of Polyurathane base(sp) on the roof. Let it cure and see if it peels or comes off easily. Stay away from products that peel off and are water clean up products.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Since EPDM roofs have a 10 year warranty and about a 15 year lifespan, I would bet a 22 year old roof has lost its protection and needs replaced. Odds are the existing EPDM will not allow any product to adhere to it correctly. Doug

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Never used it, but it is cheap compared to the rest of the stuff. I have used from bed truck liner to specialized roof coating. They all work to a point. Most of them you pay that price per gallon, so I would say go ahead and try it.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
genentina wrote:
yes, I have cleaned my roof using factory recommended Spic N Span a few times but scrubbing it does not restore elasticity, thickness, durability traits, etc., I'm thinking more about pro-active maintenance, as I do not ever want any kind of leak. Again, it's 22 years old now, and I do not plan to pay for an all new rubber roof. I've read that EPDM roofing is common on large commercial warehouses and in general seems to claim it's good for 30 years. Our roof has been baking in the southern California sun it's entire life.

And roofs on commercial buildings never get any cleaning or coating done to them.

However, roofs on RVโ€™s may be exposed to extreme use by flexing, constant 60 mph winds, etc. I would be more concerned with any seams leaking more so than the rubber going bad and leaking. But a simple overcoat of whatever may seal that one pinhole you got on the last trip from something falling on the roof.
Good luck with your project.

genentina
Explorer
Explorer
yes, I have cleaned my roof using factory recommended Spic N Span a few times but scrubbing it does not restore elasticity, thickness, durability traits, etc., I'm thinking more about pro-active maintenance, as I do not ever want any kind of leak. Again, it's 22 years old now, and I do not plan to pay for an all new rubber roof. I've read that EPDM roofing is common on large commercial warehouses and in general seems to claim it's good for 30 years. Our roof has been baking in the southern California sun it's entire life.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Winnebago recommends yearly cleaning of rubber roofs with granulated soap and water.

Winnebago?
About 99.99999% of the Winnebagos produced in the last few decades have had FIBERGLASS roofs. I don't follow every single coach made by every manufacturer but, I guess there could be some by Winne that had or have rubber roofs, just never seen any. Now, if you'd have said Fleetwood, that would be more accurate. About 99.99999% of those have rubber roofs.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Winnebago recommends yearly cleaning of rubber roofs with granulated soap and water.

Winnebago?
About 99.99999% of the Winnebagos produced in the last few decades have had FIBERGLASS roofs. I don't follow every single coach made by every manufacturer but, I guess there could be some by Winne that had or have rubber roofs, just never seen any.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Itakethe5th2011
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Henry Tropi-Cool from Home Depot on my last 5th wheel. I've just bought a new 5th wheel and will be coating it with Henry tropical cool next month. More expensive but it was made to be used on many types of roofing material including rubber roof. Very thick. Can use brush and roller to install. 1-4.75 gal bucket did 2 coats on my 33" 5th wheel with a little left over.It's very white and made my trailer cooler inside too.Look it up on you tube.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
soap and water.