cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help stabilizing my 1995 coachman catalina

juanzo
Explorer
Explorer
hi guys. my name is juan and im new to rving. my wife and i just took the family on a trip to myrtle beach a few weeks ago and we had a great time. getting there was a little different. i am a truck driver by trade and i have to say that driving my rv on the highway faster than 55-60 was really REALLY SCARY! it handles very poor and i am kinda regretting buying it. i have been searching online for things to improve on my rig to make it handle better. i have read some people have put on their rig 19" wheels compared to the scrawny 16" on thier now. i have put quite a few bucks into it since i bought it. i installed a banks intake and full exhaust header to tip. full tuneup chassis lube,wipers,ac charge up, full detail by now you get the picture. its got some great pep now that it has the banks system but handleing is very very poor. i need suggestions from the community on what i can do. like i said i heard about people slapping on 19" wheels somehow. i heard about swaybars and whatnot. i just dont know where to start.... plz advise a young newbie here. ty. 😄
10 REPLIES 10

Andy1602
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 1994 Coachman Catalina Sport 220rk and I think it handles fine. Mine has just over 39,000 miles on it. It has had rear air bags added to it with overload springs on the shocks and a larger front steering stabilizer. Running Michelin 225/75-16 tires. Compared to my 1976 Jamboree class C I had a few year back mine drives like a dream. I don't push over 65mph on the interstate. Plenty of power it just starts to drink gas past that. 11mpg is about average with the cruise control on. I am happy with mine so far.
Just my 2 cents worth, Andy

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
If you're really willing to throw more cash at the problem, Rickson Wheels makes a bolt-on up size to 19.5" wheels. With rubber, figure $750 per wheel.
Here's an alternative thought. I try to stay off the interstates when possible, because over 60MPH, you're pushing the tires, brake, steering system (well, you get the picture) to their design limits. That 460 and E4OD can take it, but these machines are leisure vehicles and underpowered while running at max weight. Ford has a long history of deploying vehicles with smallish engines that one has to wind the stew out of it to perform. Slow down, enjoy the drive, and learn that the "RV Salute" is donated by folks in one helluva hurry.
BTW,, don't forget to lube that front end after every long trip...
One last thought: you probably carry a spare; with bigger tires there is no space and the wheels become A LOT heavier.
HTH,
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Juan,
Corner weigh if possible. If not, max axle weight/2 will get you started. Set the tire pressure to minimum for the weight, using the Michelin chart, plus 5 psi. Start adding 5 psi to the front axle and see what this does. If no improvement or it worsens handling return to original psi and do the same with the rears. Keep moving the pressure around until you find your best handling with out upsetting the ride quality. It took me 2 pressure adjustments to dial in my HR. You could get as lucky or you could spend all day. Once you have done this then you can really consider throwing money at suspension mods. Also a light hand is a necessity because of the rear overhang. A slight change in your driving style can make a lot of difference.
Randy

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Juan,

I have the same year and make of chassis as you. Like you, I will not tolerate a poor handling vehicle. Your F53 can be made to drive well.
The side walls on fabric ply 235/85R16 tires are too flimsy. I suggest Michelin all steel XPS or Bridgestone all steel R250 tires for your chassis. Don't bother with the expense of changing to 19.5 tires. The 16" tire size is not your problem.
Make sure the toe-in is set at 5/32" toe-in.
Add 2° of caster to the front axle. Shims are available on the internet.
Add a Davis TruTrac or SuperSteer front Pan Hard bar. Those long front springs allow the chassis to move laterally across the axle.
The OEM rear sway bar bushings are poor quality and fail early. Replace them with these bushings. Or do both ends with these bushings.
I suggest the two most important issues are toe-in and quality tires.

Richard
95 Bounder F53 with all the goodies.
Banks Power Pack
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Juan,

A coach that age could easily have both suspension and front end issues that normal shops just won't find. Among the things to have checked are the front end rubber bushings. These can fail and many front end techs never even look at them.

Most of all, I would suggest you find a Coachman group. If it is any regular problem, someone there must have seen it.

Don't even consider changing wheels. That is a can of worms that you don't want to open....

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

juanzo
Explorer
Explorer
its a 1995 coachman Catalina class a It has 16 inch wheels right now the wheels look really small on it.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Bilstein shocks and/or struts. check front end alinement. tight front end parts. What type of rig? How old? Have a good truck alinement person check the full suspension.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

juanzo
Explorer
Explorer
the tires i have on there are brand new michelins. i dont think thats gonna help any.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
puta nice quality tire and some airbags and make sure thefront suspension is tight