Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

need new stereo

vik1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.

I need to change my dash board stereo on my 2009 Chevy Four Winds

The problem is that everything I find is too big.

The dash board's Hole dimension max is 7 1/8x3 1/2

My actually stereo is a Jensen VR182G3

Is anybody should have an idear to help me?
In France:
GMC Sierra 1500 SLE V8 5.3l 2007
Sun Valley Sun Lite 2005

In USA:
2009 Four winds Chevy 30ft
21 REPLIES 21

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
j-d wrote:
Thanks for the update! So So Many don't let us know what happened.

Your friend did you WELL!!!

If it were mine, I'd stop right there! I have a collection of old screws and would have looked to see if I had a couple Black ones. Or a little black paint, but there's not a bad thing about what he's done.

Enjoy it in good health!

Even easier than paint is to carefully scribble on the screw head with a black Sharpie or other permanent marker. It may be necessary to go over it a couple of times. I've done this for several screws for mods in my motorhome, and it works out well.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the update! So So Many don't let us know what happened.

Your friend did you WELL!!!

If it were mine, I'd stop right there! I have a collection of old screws and would have looked to see if I had a couple Black ones. Or a little black paint, but there's not a bad thing about what he's done.

Enjoy it in good health!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

vik1
Explorer
Explorer
That done, there is some time but I had forgotten to put a picture.
Later I will install a dash kit.

In France:
Sun Valley Sun Lite 2005

In USA:

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
vik1 wrote:
Thanks to all of you for your help.

My friend in whom the motorhome is parked will tinker something and install a single DIN.
Show him that link I posted. It may be the only 1.5DIN filler out there. Good luck
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now that sounds like an outstanding way to settle this issue! Please let us know what your friend does and how it works out.

Also, let your friend know s/he is welcome to join RV.net and ask questions or get any help we can offer. Just post a link to this thread.

vik1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you for your help.

My friend in whom the motorhome is parked will tinker something and install a single DIN.
In France:
Sun Valley Sun Lite 2005

In USA:

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
vik1 wrote:
The problem is the depth

According to the manual I found online, the depth of the Jensen is 183 mm. That shouldn't be a limiting factor for most single-DIN head units. (The depth requirements are, in many cases, mainly determined by the diameter of a CD; the rest of the radio could be made a good bit smaller without great difficulty.)

Mind you, that same manual said the width was 80mm and the height 100mm; I think the width is a typo and it should be 180mm. It does throw a bit of doubt on the other dimensions, though...still, 183mm seems reasonable.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mounting dimensions of the JVC I linked:

182mm (7-3/16") Wide
53mm (2-1/8") High
158mm (6-1/4") Deep

Do you need shallower than that?

vik1
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is the depth
In France:
Sun Valley Sun Lite 2005

In USA:

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 1.5-to-1.0-DIN adapter (popularized by Johnny Cash as an "AA-Dapter Kit") looks like what we have. I'm not at the coach but my recall is ours has the little 0.5-DIN filler below the radio, but it might be able to be above also. Just not sure.
But YES, that's how I'd go. If it was 2.0-DIN and crazy fancy stuff would go in there, maybe. But to try to come up with an oddball 1.5 just doesn't make sense. Get a nice 1.0-DIN and that AA-Dapter or even make your own little filler panel.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
vik1 wrote:
Ok I talked many time with a Crutchfield's advisor and he has no solutions.
The only think he offers me is single DIN but no CD players

He has a 1.5 DIN but it didn't play CDs too and it's very expensive

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_068NEWPORT/RetroSound-Newport.html
I'm not sure what your other requirements are, but literally every 1DIN radio they sell is cross compatible. I have a Pioneer in my wish list because it has a real factory steering wheel control built for the radio, not an after market.

Take a look at THIS and see if it's what you are looking for.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2002 E450 dash was also 1.5-DIN. I got a 1.0-DIN AM/FM/HD/CD/USB with remote control from Amazon for about $100. Daughter's Explorer about that age was 2.0-DIN and those super-fancy stereo's would fit. I guess Ford (and it would seem GM) thought a mere van owner wouldn't want such luxury.
Here's one in in JVC Brand from Amazon, less than I paid for our Dual brand a few years ago. And its picture:. I used the install kit (metal "can" that came with the new unit, and wired it color-to-color like the original. Ours was a Panasonic. Since it was also 1.0-DIN, an 0.5-DIN filler was already there. It forms a little tray below the radio. I made the wiring up first with wire nuts. Tested and found it worked exactly as it should. Went back with Red Butt Connectors. A very easy project.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
vik1 wrote:

There are a bunch of single-DIN receivers with CD players available at Cruchfield, 77 listed when I checked: Clicky. I'm not sure, but maybe you misunderstood the advisor on that, or maybe they were thinking that you wanted an external CD changer or something along those lines.

If there's room above or below the radio in the dashboard, it may be possible to do some trimming and modification and fit a double-DIN radio in. I know that's possible on the Ford E-series chassis (which use a somewhat taller than 1 1/2 but not quite double-DIN radio from the factory, at least in some model years).

vik1
Explorer
Explorer

In France:
Sun Valley Sun Lite 2005

In USA: