cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New keyless door latch

YWORRYDOG
Explorer
Explorer
I was at the RV show this past weekend. I have wanted a keyless door latch for sometime. I knew that they were made for trailers, but was limited for a motor home. Bauer the same company that made the latch for my SunSeeker just came out with this one. What a great latch! No more lost key swimming, or “aren’t you going to lock the door?” Um, no, the keys are inside” No more, just enter the code and it is locked!

It was a 20 minute install, everything fit just like the old one. I didn’t even have to change the strike plate,
as they were identical.

CHUCK and ROSE 2010 Sunseeker
We camp on earth
9 REPLIES 9

YWORRYDOG
Explorer
Explorer
The link for the one on E Bay is for trailers, it has been out for a year. You need one approved for motor homes. A tad more money. If it should fail, on the road, you can always go back to using the key.

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Bauer-EM-Electric-RV-Door-Lock-p/bauerem.htm
CHUCK and ROSE 2010 Sunseeker
We camp on earth

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
From the outside access of my water heater, I have a magnetic key holder on the top where it can't be seen. That key opens one of the outside storage units (keyed differently from the rest). Hidden inside that compartment as a whole set of keys for the motorhome. I've never had to use it, but it sure is comforting knowing it is there.
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
And keep the old latch in a drawer so you can reinstall it if this one fails on the road.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I like having a separate keybox... one never knows when a battery will die, so having a mechanical way of access is useful. One can get a keybox that goes in the hitch receiver, one that is a strongbox that mounts in the hitch receiver, one that attaches to the frame, etc. I prefer a Simplex lock box bolted to the frame, since if someone does find it, it will take some time to get it open.

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one for the same reasons you want it... Here's some good advice; hide a key outside... It doesn't work if your hands are cold or wet. My wife can't use it at all, I guess it doesn't like her. Boy, does she get mad when it won't open. I just wake it up with a touch and enter the code and I'm in. Well, most of the time. Make that 3 out of 4 times... However, with the looks I get from her I'm ready to put my old lock back in and put it on eBay for some other smuck. But it's sure is impressive looking, adds a touch of class to rig.

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be inclined to get one if it works well. I've had one on the house (not this one) for eight years. Before that nothing but problems with the kids losing keys.
It gives you a month warning before the battery (9 volt) dies. So far the battery lasts about 5-6 years.

Also have the keypad on my SUV. Nice not having to deal with keys. Just for safety though I'd do a hide-a-key someplace just in case.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

Dieter_Heinzer
Explorer
Explorer
http://parts.mirageinc.com/keyless-rv-latch?gclid=CO_I97u8n7wCFQ-Dfgod9AoAcg#.Uubm0U3TlOQ
..was my first Google hit.
- Dieter & Vanessa
The Happy Campers since 1987 :C
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1998 Coachmen Catalina 29'
on a Ford with V10 Triton
48k miles at 8.1 MPG average since bought new.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
I'll bet interested folks would like to have a link to where they can buy this nice looking setup.

It's electric, right? I notice that it has a "manual override" keyhole...your only challenge now is to remember where you put the key when/if the power fails on this new puppy sometime down the road!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Nice... there needs to be some innovation there. I like how the Bauer handles not just offer the keypad, but once the customer keys are handed over, the dealer masters are permanently disabled.

If I got a Sunseeker on a Ford chassis, I'd probably get the keypad for the cab door, just so I have an alternative route if the battery dies. However, it is nice to just toss everything, keys and all, into one place, and go for a hike or whatnot, without having to fear dropping the car keys at night on a trail.