cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to class A's, I THINK I want one, but...?

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
Currently I have a 2009 Navion, class C diesel, and I love it. I use it for everyday travels, long trips, camping, but more as my daily driver; it gets 15.5 mpg regularly, sometimes as high as 17.xx.

Back last September I bought a 5th wheel to live in. I never towed it, just had it delivered and set up. DW and I lived in it two months and our circumstances changed. Now we need to sell it, trade it, whatever.

I'm think about getting a class A, trade for one, hopefully get something that will help me retain some equity towards the trade. You how these RV deals can get...lose, lose, lose $$$$ it seams.

I figure if I'm gonna pay for something, might as well pay for something I can use regularly.

I have never owned a class A, so this would be a new experience. I'd like something I can use for DW and I and for our extended family, for traveling. I need something that could seat 6 adults, two children and three dogs...so we can all ride together when we are together. The rest of the time DW and I can camp, boon dock, travel and let the rest of the family use as they would like.

I like good clean lines and that is well laid out, nothing puffy plush or over sized, but neat and fit, comfortable.

It would be great to consistently be able to get 10mpg, not towing or driving crazy, just cruising with the family. It wouldn't have to sleep 6 adults, but that would be nice too. Nice roomy bath and a private bed are for DW and I would be great.

It doesn't have to be a fancy rig with all the whistles and bells, just practical, safe, comfortable and affordable, something that will last us 10 years, 100,000 miles.

Is there even such an animal out there? Or am I expecting too much?

Suggestions please.

Thank you!
[img/Users/Frank/Pictures/iPhoto Library_2/Originals/2014/Apr 2, 2014/2009_1306_Nav_BlueMoon.jpg[img]
24 REPLIES 24

jgallego
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 37' and can seat 6 with seat belts but my miles per gallon are mostly between 5 and 6.
2014 Coachmen Mirada 35 DL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado Crewcab 4x4
2013 Honda CRV

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
We have 3 on the dinette and 3 on the sofa. Very comfy to travel with 6 + 2. We, however, will never see over 10mpg. Actually, 7-8 range.

To each their own, and I guess it depends on the 3 on the sofa and the size of the sofa itself, but....Most sofas I've seen in RVs, I would not consider 3 people on them as anything like 'comfy' for long trips (even if 1 or 2 of them were children).

That was why I indicated only comfortable way to do this, would be with dual sofas.

Will

It's as comfy as riding in the back of the truck, pulling my fifth wheel. And the amenities are amazing. It is a full size couch.
My 42 footer has ample room, but the room comes at a price.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
dubdub07 wrote:
We have 3 on the dinette and 3 on the sofa. Very comfy to travel with 6 + 2. We, however, will never see over 10mpg. Actually, 7-8 range.

To each their own, and I guess it depends on the 3 on the sofa and the size of the sofa itself, but....Most sofas I've seen in RVs, I would not consider 3 people on them as anything like 'comfy' for long trips (even if 1 or 2 of them were children).

That was why I indicated only comfortable way to do this, would be with dual sofas.

Will
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rick Jay wrote:
willald wrote:
To do that (comfortably!) in a Class A, IMO you need one with dual sofas and a dinette, minimum. That's going to put you in the 38-40' range, or bigger (and probably in the realm of diesel pushers, for which the price goes up substantially).

Or a very few select gassers. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Ours is 36'. We've slept 4 adults, 2 teens, 3 kids and an overweight golden retriever. We used an air mattress and sleeping bags to supplement the sofas, dinette & bed. We could'a handled 2 more if anyone wanted to sleep in the driver & passenger chairs. ๐Ÿ™‚ A bit crowded, but not bad if everyone is friendly. ๐Ÿ™‚

~Rick

Hehe, noticed that I said, to "comfortably!" do this. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes, there are a few gassers out there with dual sofas and a dinette, but not many (yours is indeed one of the few). Most units with dual sofas are going to be 38' or longer, and on a diesel pusher chassis.

Will
Will and Cheryl

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
willald wrote:
To do that (comfortably!) in a Class A, IMO you need one with dual sofas and a dinette, minimum. That's going to put you in the 38-40' range, or bigger (and probably in the realm of diesel pushers, for which the price goes up substantially).

Or a very few select gassers. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Ours is 36'. We've slept 4 adults, 2 teens, 3 kids and an overweight golden retriever. We used an air mattress and sleeping bags to supplement the sofas, dinette & bed. We could'a handled 2 more if anyone wanted to sleep in the driver & passenger chairs. ๐Ÿ™‚ A bit crowded, but not bad if everyone is friendly. ๐Ÿ™‚

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
The Navion is about the perfect RV if its just one or two people traveling and you want to travel all over the country. Its small enough that it fits just about anywhere yet its big enough that two people can sleep and eat in it. To me it is also small enough that I would not need a toad. I could just disconnect and head out to the mall or the store or just about anywhere with it. It truly is n RV that is all about being mobile.

Now if you had a 3rd, 4th or 5th person going along it would note be great for that unless you added a small TT. With the small TT it is no longer the upwardly mobile transportation machine it once was.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
6 adults, 2 children, and 3 dogs while traveling? Wow, thats a lot. To do that (comfortably!) in a Class A, IMO you need one with dual sofas and a dinette, minimum. Thats going to put you in the 38-40' range, or bigger (and probably in the realm of diesel pushers, for which the price goes up substantially). Good thing is that with a unit that size, you could probably sleep that many as well if you wanted to (although it may get a bit crowded).

Oh, and yes, as already said, 10 mpg ain't going to happen with ANY Class A you get that will meet your needs outlined here. 7 or 8 is a bit more realistic.

That, or maybe get you a pickup to tow the 5er (keep the 5er), and have some folks ride in the pickup, the rest ride in your Navion or follow in their own vehicle? That would be much more cost effective. Pickups that can handle a large 5er aren't cheap, but are much, MUUCH cheaper than a Class A unit that will do what you want.

I guess its a question of how much its worth to you, to have everyone riding together in the same vehicle. No doubt, there is no better way to travel than with everyone together in a big Class A. Just can't be beat it, as most any Class A owner will tell you. However, traveling that way is also very, very EXPENSIVE all around.
Will and Cheryl

blakduk01
Explorer
Explorer
I'd keep the Navion and get an inexpensive travel trailer.

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:
Well, our rig came from the factory with 12 seatbelts: driver, passenger, 3 on each of two couches for 6 plus 4 at the dinette.

Best gas mileage I ever got on it was low 9's. BUT....that was before they forced this ethanol junk on us (10% MPG loss right there), it was Fall, so no generator/AC running, and we weren't dragging our 4,500 lb. Honda Odyssey behind us, and I was keeping the speed between 55-60 mph and we were travelling on mostly level terrain.

Now, with crummy gas, running the generator for the house AC and towing the Honda, I usually travel at 65 mph and my mpg hovers around low to mid 7's. But it's dipped into the high 6's. One time several years back after filling up with 100% real gas, the mpg jumped to low 8's.

All that said, in my opinion, there is NO BETTER WAY TO TRAVEL with your family than in a motorhome. It's never bothered me to fill the tank on the motorhome because when I'm filling it, it means I'm on vacation. ๐Ÿ™‚ It bothers me more to pay for the gas in my daily driver 'cause I'm using THAT to go to work! ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, 10 mpgs is probably unrealistic for most rigs, although some of the smaller diesel units might do it.

But, the seatbelt requirement is possible. Plus, you can always add additional belts if the rig you find doesn't have enough.

Oh, and by the way, our rig was the first RV of ANY TYPE when we bought it almost 11 years ago. Big expense for us for the 10 years we were paying it off, but I've never regretted the decision. Now that it's paid off, I like it even better! ๐Ÿ™‚

Good Luck in your search.

~Rick

Sounds really nice, and I agree, a great way for family to be together!

The RV industry really sticks it to people, BAD!
One buys an RV, fights for the best deal possible and then automatically looses 40% of the value of the new purchase...Yes, 40% right away! Then if trading towards another unit, the RV dealer wants full MSRP for the new unit, while only allowing 60% value or less towards your trade in, no matter how new or good the trade is. They rape us! All for the sake of $$$$!

Yes, 8 pmg, I get it. Not too good, so the quest continues, to sell the 5ver (right now I'm willing to take a huge loss), and to find a suitable family travel rig!
[img/Users/Frank/Pictures/iPhoto Library_2/Originals/2014/Apr 2, 2014/2009_1306_Nav_BlueMoon.jpg[img]

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
Grandpere wrote:
Why not keep the 5er and get a diesel pickup crewcab pickup to to tow it? Lots cheaper than trading for a Class A

I have never towed the 5ver... not saying I can't, just never have. The issue becomes sleeping arrangements for everyone, this model is a king suite. It has a fold out couch, so only two places for 4 people to sleep. Everyone else would be uncomfortable.

I have though about it though...trucks are expensive as heck!

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
17 MPG !!! I'd keep the Navion till the wheels fall off.

I use the Navion as our daily driver a lot. It allows us sooo much comfort, private bathroom, a place to sit and eat lunch when we don't feel like putting up with the crowds of insanity. Our pooch stays comfortable if we're in a store a bit too long, etc, etc, etc... Way too many good reasons not to sell the Navion!

dalerussel
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 35' bunkhouse, Winnebago Class A, gas Rv. It has 9 seat belts (driver, passenger, 4 at dinette, 3 on couch). It can sleep 8 but would be crowded: 2 in bedroom on short king, 1 ea on 2 bunks, 2 on fold down dinette and 2 on jackknife couch. Only 1 on the couch and dinette would be more comfortable. My wife and I traveled last summer with 2 grandkids and had plenty of room. We get at best 8 mpg.

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
I would go the pu route as suggested, you can still have a daily driver and a tow rig. Even a crew cab however will only seat six. If your camping within a few hundred miles the rest of the family can follow in a car.
it's been a few years back but my 01 dodge 2WD diesel got about 10 pulling a 36ft 3 slide 5 ver.
Have fun.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014