cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie RV'ers

Kelster4
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I just purchased a 2007 American Coach Heritage 45' with 22' ATC Stacker trailer. Yes we just sent our last kid off to college and have joined the empty nesters club! Neither of us have ever RV'd, however 25-30 years ago my husband drove fire trucks so he feels confident learning to drive the RV &Trailer will be ok. I should mention he rented a 34' Class C RV and took out our neighbors mailbox lol! We know RV'ing is a lifestyle and are looking forward to new adventures, however we would love any tips/advice you seasoned RV'ers may have for us. We will also have our little 9 pound boy with us so pet friendly is a must! We will be heading down to NC in a few weeks to "get to know" our RV. We were thinking of taking it to a place on Lake Norman but from our research there doesn't seem to be an acceptable facility. I am feeling anxious about the whole thing as although I am a seasoned boater, able to work around cooking, storage, outfitting and such, actually being on the road in something this large is unnerving!
6 REPLIES 6

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody can drive the front of a motorhome it is the rear and tail swing that does damage. A starting point is turn after your hips pass the point of danger. Also http://www.rvschool.com/about-us/ will get you off on right foot.

Just reminders of how to do things the right way and a critical perspective of your skills. You do all the driving the instructor never touches your wheel.

I am an instructor for this school.

Kelster4 wrote:
My husband and I just purchased a 2007 American Coach Heritage 45' with 22' ATC Stacker trailer. Yes we just sent our last kid off to college and have joined the empty nesters club! Neither of us have ever RV'd, however 25-30 years ago my husband drove fire trucks so he feels confident learning to drive the RV &Trailer will be ok. I should mention he rented a 34' Class C RV and took out our neighbors mailbox lol! We know RV'ing is a lifestyle and are looking forward to new adventures, however we would love any tips/advice you seasoned RV'ers may have for us. We will also have our little 9 pound boy with us so pet friendly is a must! We will be heading down to NC in a few weeks to "get to know" our RV. We were thinking of taking it to a place on Lake Norman but from our research there doesn't seem to be an acceptable facility. I am feeling anxious about the whole thing as although I am a seasoned boater, able to work around cooking, storage, outfitting and such, actually being on the road in something this large is unnerving!

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice here. I've only been driving my antique 30-footer for a couple of months. I always subscribe to these types of threads!

One thing I've learned to do is to plot my routes carefully. Google maps and/or GPS don't always provide an RV friendly route. On a recent trip, google maps wanted to take me on a route that had a bridge with a 4-ton weight limit and 11-foot vertical clearance. Luckily I spotted it in an aerial view of the route and went a different way.

I'm also super-paranoid about where I get off the highway, the businesses I pull into, etc. to make sure I can get turned around or out of a lot.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
First, do NOT be intimidated by the size of your new to you RV. There are various assets on the Net with videos, etc. for learning RV driving skills. You might want to consider the RV Driving School, www.rvschool.com. They have locations throughout the US.

The main things to remember are 1) Take your time. Never be in a rush. Another hour does not matter in the grand scheme. 2) The right lane is the RVer's friend. Let the other fools drive down the road at 70 with a trailer or toad behind.It takes a long distance to stop an RV and even longer with a tow. 62 mph is fast enough when towing, 60 even better. 3)Adjust the outside mirrors so as to have a good view of what is coming behind and along side of you. All you need to see of the RV is a sliver of the rear in the mirrors. 4) ALWAYS have a spotter on the ground when backing up but I think you know that from your OP. 5) Generally when turning you should start your turn when your HIPS are aligned with the curb, corner, etc, where you are turning. If you have to swing wide to make a turn then do so. If you need to hold up traffic in order to safely turn then do so. The people you are holding up are more than likely strangers who you will never see again, so why care? Always err on the side of safety.

I am a certified RV driving instructor but am retired from that fourth career.

Kelster4
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the advice. Asheville NC is on our list for places to visit. We bought the trailer as our daughter races cars and it will house her race cars. Also my husband is an avid biker and will use it to tow his motorcycle along with his friends for certain bike rallys.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Some advice. Don't start out with a 45' RV. It will be a handful!

Other advice, for the first trip, I would ask that you leave the huge trailer behind. I know it has it's purpose, but really, it is a lot to start trying to back that large of a trailer into a small camping site. If you really need to take a car, then try renting a tow dolly, I think you will find it much easier to park than the 22' long trailer.

It might be best if you have a destination in mind to just take the motorhome solo, and plan on bringing along all your meals, and other things with you. Sightsee with the RV. You will really get a hang for driving the RV before attaching a 22' long trailer to it.

Remember how difficult it can be to get a 34' RV into most sites, and then think 10 feet longer, and how difficult it can be to back the trailer into your driveway at home, and imagine doing that with the RV at some un-known campsite without any assistance!

While on this camping trip, picture how and where you will park the large trailer at each campsite along the way. It will take planning to figure out where to park that thing. You might have to rent a second site at smaller campgrounds to fit in into the space beside the RV one. Even then, while backing the trailer onto the site, you will be blocking the road for at least 10 minutes. At least you can put down the hydralic jacks to raise the back end, lower the trailer hitch, then drop the RV so you will not need to lift the trailer hitch to undo any WD bars or take off the hitch.

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new purchase! Why the stacker trailer?

Not sure where Lake Norman is but if you folks ever make it to Asheville, you must see the Biltmore Estate. You will go back every year as it is a site to see with so much to do.

Safe travels!
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins