cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie towing question

dalejiw25
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, New to the world of TT. Will be picking up My 2014 Viking 15RB on April 1st. My TV is a 2000 F-150 4X4 Off Road equipped with 5.4 Triton, Auto, 3.55 LS gear. This trailer has a GVWR of 3500 and a hitch weight of 251 lbs. so towing should not be a problem. My question is, Should I need a WD hitch or any type of Sway control for this light a trailer ?? Am going to be mostly a long weekender fairly close to my home(+or- 100 miles) My dealer says some do and some don't, take it for a drive and decide from there. All thoughts appreciated, thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
dalejiw25 wrote:
The truck has front and rear sway bars installed from the factory when new as part of the trailer tow package. Thanks for all the advice. April 1st can't come quick enough for me lol.

That's a different kind of sway bar. F1Bnorm was referring to a friction bar that goes from the hitch to the A-frame on the trailer.

like This
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

dalejiw25
Explorer
Explorer
The truck has front and rear sway bars installed from the factory when new as part of the trailer tow package. Thanks for all the advice. April 1st can't come quick enough for me lol.

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
The lift on the front wheels is of more concern than rear end sag. The wheelbase and amount of rear overhang will have a lot to do with it. The sway bar wouldn't be a bad idea. I just can't see even an F150 needing a WD system for 300 lbs or so of tongue weight but you never know I guess.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

dalejiw25
Explorer
Explorer
139" Wheelbase.

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely add a sway bar and you will appreciate it when towing in a good crosswind or when a big truck goes by.

The equalizer system, if needed, will probably show up as soon as you drop the trailer on the ball. If it lowers an inch or more, you probably need to add a helper system.

Norm's 2 cents
F1BNorm

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
If I recall hitch weight should be 10 to 15% of loaded trailer weight. So you would be over your 251

The 3500 lbs he listed was GVWR, not curb weight.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I recall hitch weight should be 10 to 15% of loaded trailer weight. So you would be over your 251
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
What is the wheelbase on the truck? I wouldn't bother with weight distribution on a trailer that small unless it really handled like garbage and I needed to put a lot of weight on the tongue. If I did go the WD hitch route, it would be the cheapest setup I could find on craigslist.

I don't remember seeing a setup with bars rated for such a low tongue weight as you have listed from the specs. It's unlikely your TW will go over 400lbs fully loaded to GVWR.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
You may have better luck posting in the TT forum. I am sure a lot of folks on the MH forum have experience, but you'll find more in there I think.
2013 ACE 29.2