cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newer entry level DP bunkhouses?

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
After 2 years of owning a small gasser my family and I have come to better understand what we really want out of a coach. The ACE is great and no real complaints. But you get what you pay for. So a few things on the wish list are; a better ride. Small gasser does fine on smooth roads but get on a road like VA I95 and all bets are off. Way too much road feedback to the point of cringing. I want a smooth effortless ride. We want real bunks instead of the overhead drop down. I want a single bath instead of split. I want a real pull out sofa instead of a jackknife. We want a residential refer. Something a little bigger, not much maybe 35'. 2 slides at least. Lots of storage. LESS NOISE. I really want a much quieter ride. A few other things but you get the idea. The catch is we want to stay under $140k and 2009 or newer. Being a Thor fan, we really like the Palazzo 33.3. Pretty much has everything on the wish list and a price under $140k (quote from Lazy Days). Hard to beat for a brand new DP and from some reviews I have read it handles like a dream. I checked out Fleetwood excursion but no bunk model, likewise with the allegro. Pretty sure I want to go DP as I really don't think another gasser will give me the comfort, ride and lower noise I am looking for. If someone knows of a gasser that handles like a DP I would love to know. Otherwise, anyone know of any smaller entry level DP's with bunks in that range, or what to look at in a used only a few years old or any Palazzo owners that can weigh in? Thanks all.
2013 ACE 29.2
30 REPLIES 30

driveby
Explorer
Explorer
For $140k I'll sell you my 35J and include a free Kelderman upgrade ๐Ÿ˜‰

Seriously though aside from the engine up front our coach rides really well. One handed steering even on the I5 in Seattle ๐Ÿ˜‰

here's a floor plan link:

Also some other pics from our coach album if you're interested in what the insides look like:

2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Class A
1997 TJ Sahara, hard and soft tops and AC
Held together via Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar and stopped by US Gear Unified Brake system.

Maladjusted
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely LOVE it!! Rides very nice... no rattles, surprisingly!! It's is quiet enough at 65 mph to have a conversation at normal talking levels. Just a little wind noise, no motor noise at all!

Gets 10.5 mpg on the computer... is a breeze to drive.

Effy wrote:
Maladjusted wrote:
SportsCoach 385DS - Here's one new for 139,000.

http://www.generalrv.com/inventory/277087/New-2012-Coachmen-RV-Sportscoach-Cross-Country-385DS.aspx

We just bought one... and love it!

Mal

Love that floorplan! although a tad bigger than I wanted to go, but hey, bigger for the same price.... how does it ride and what's the noise level like?

randco
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
Effy wrote:
...One thing I did not mention is that I am not crazy about the forward door on most Dp's. A lot of the newer smaller DPs have the mid ship door. I prefer that. Not a deal breaker but on my list.

Agree 100% on that door position, thats actually a deal breaker for us. Absolutely HATE door being in front of the passenger. Makes you feel like you're driving a school or tour bus. LOL, when I test drove one like that once, I kept thinking I needed to put out a stop arm and turn on flashing red lights whenever we stopped. :B

Will

Will, it seems as though there are a couple of deal breakers for you. No rear window in the bedroom and the location of the entry door. You're right, a DP probably won't be in your driveway.

I'll drive my bus and be very happy.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
Effy wrote:
...One thing I did not mention is that I am not crazy about the forward door on most Dp's. A lot of the newer smaller DPs have the mid ship door. I prefer that. Not a deal breaker but on my list.

Agree 100% on that door position, thats actually a deal breaker for us. Absolutely HATE door being in front of the passenger. Makes you feel like you're driving a school or tour bus. LOL, when I test drove one like that once, I kept thinking I needed to put out a stop arm and turn on flashing red lights whenever we stopped. :B

Will

Yeah, for me it really seems inconvenient not only getting in and out but loading it too. And I always think about an emergency and how a centrally located door just seems safer. My opinions though.
2013 ACE 29.2

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Effy wrote:

Will
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
katoomer wrote:
A Newmar Ventana bunkhouse like ours would be perfect for you. Not many built but be patient and you'll find one.

I was going to suggest a Newmar. I took a Canyon Star 3912 (40'!) of a long test drive, and was VERY surprised how smooth it rode. Even over bad rail crossings. I think Newmar must build their sub-chassis in a way that stiffens the frame. No jarring, shudders, or even rattles. It had a little more body roll than I like (handled like a 40' motorcoach) but some new sway bars would easily correct that. Engine noise was well muted, even though the V10 was obviously spinning pretty fast to get that house with attached garage moving.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
ibavamarine wrote:
2014 Winnebago Forza 38R

They don't seem to be for sale yet at least that I can find. Seems like they would be out of my range and a bit larger than we are looking for. One thing I did not mention is that I am not crazy about the forward door on most Dp's. A lot of the newer smaller DPs have the mid ship door. I prefer that. Not a deal breaker but on my list.
2013 ACE 29.2

ibavamarine
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Winnebago Forza 38R
ibavamarine
Shenandoah Valley, Va
"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time,"
Chesty Puller

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
tderonne wrote:
You mentioned claims of 15 MPG. They are just that, claims. If you had said 12, I might have said you were being hopeful. 15?

The Wynns bought a Monaco Vesta and kept very good logs on MPG. It's a smaller diesel (a puller though), and was designed in a wind tunnel. Probably can't do too much better.

Wynn's blog on Vesta MPG

They got close to 15 on a single tank, once. Lifetime average is more like 11 driving 55 MPH.

That is based on reviews I have read. But I have never driven or tested it so I can't validate the claim. It would be nice if any Palazzo owners chimed in with their real life mpg. Still worst case 12 is a whole lot better than 7 or 8 and the cost of diesel it's not nearly as overpriced compared to gas than it used to be. Doing a little analytics (it's what I do) in my recent trip to Fla, I would have saved almost $300 in fuel if I had a DP getting 11 mpg vs the 8 mpg I experienced in my gasser. And the larger the gasser the worse the mpg. Sure it's more expensive but it's hard to argue better ride, less noise and lower mpg. All benefits gained from the extra cost.
2013 ACE 29.2

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
You mentioned claims of 15 MPG. They are just that, claims. If you had said 12, I might have said you were being hopeful. 15?

The Wynns bought a Monaco Vesta and kept very good logs on MPG. It's a smaller diesel (a puller though), and was designed in a wind tunnel. Probably can't do too much better.

Wynn's blog on Vesta MPG

They got close to 15 on a single tank, once. Lifetime average is more like 11 driving 55 MPH.
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Maladjusted wrote:

http://www.generalrv.com/inventory/277087/New-2012-Coachmen-RV-Sportscoach-Cross-Country-385DS.aspx

Mal

Love that floorplan! although a tad bigger than I wanted to go, but hey, bigger for the same price.... how does it ride and what's the noise level like?
2013 ACE 29.2

Maladjusted
Explorer
Explorer

Mal

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
My 09 Newmar gasser has a back window. No bunks though. There is a 2009 Canyon Star bunk model (3510) that's 35' 11". The later models are longer. These are gassers though and your ride description seems to be common among the gas units, at least the one's I've driven (and my own).

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone driven the Pallazzo being discussed. My experience with DP's is limited to what I am told. I did read a series of ride concerns about the 34 ft Winnebago Journey/Express. As a shorter DP it apparently has some issues. Friends with 40 ft Phateon said the ride was just OK. Now with 45 ft Monaco with the tag their ride is great. As a footnote I had the fact that ride is not just feel reinforced. I have a pretty good suspension with my Kelderman air on my 30 ft gas. I had a headset on to listen to a book. I was alone.It was a familiar 200 mile trip. I know the rough spots. The ride over some horrible roads was so much better when I could not hear things rattle or that thunk of echo. Lesson is that we need to concentrate on rattles-some packing-as much as the suspension.