Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newmar "Legendary" Support

Stutch
Explorer
Explorer
Advice please!

I would like to speak to Newmar customer support for my new Dutch Star. Their 800# for support is constantly busy, been trying for weeks, and the do not respond to email.

What happened to their reputation of legendary support reputation? The first time I need them, they can't be found!

Not Good!
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
Honda CRV
TM
21 REPLIES 21

gonesouth
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, with all your experience and training I'm not sure you would have found that fuse. The symptoms were no power to starter but positive on lead from the key switch and main starter breaker. Turns out there is a box with a fuse holder in it between those points, two of the possible locations are 1) above the accelerator pedal under the dash and 2) In what would be the driver's door if it had one up under the armrest but completely hidden, also inside a box which held two or three boxes. This fuse controls the transmission function which allows the engine to start.

I don't know what it would have cost for a shop to find it. IMHO the service was legendary.
Currently planning for retirement.....planning to build a small home in Nova Scotia for summers and someday year-round. Trying to sort out a good way to spend winters in central Florida as I can't drive anymore.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
gonesouth wrote:
Not sure I agree. Last time I had a problem with the Beaver, Monaco's help line found me a guy who worked on the build line when it was going through. He was very familiar with the coach design and was able to work through locations of boxes they used with me until he came up with the right one. That was a two day process, but we got there in the end. He also hooked me up with another guy who was now retired and had been in the design office and solved another problem.

they set the bar high, IMHO

Your joking, right? You found someone that used to work on the production line and you were looking for some type of boxes and their location? WOW, I did not know fixing things just required finding locations of a component. So, If you had a friend that worked on a Ford or GM production line installing components, you would feel HE is better qualified to repair your new or used vehicle than a mechanic of Ford or GM dealer mechanic????????? I WORKED on RV production lines 40 years ago and have been on various Factory tours during training, both Monaco AND Newmar and Tiffin and Jayco. NONE of those facilities, the production worker would have any clue how to find/fix/repair RV's. They spend 8 hours a day building and installing their particular widgets, NOTHING else. Would some have a clue as to locations of "boxes"? Possibly, ONLY if you happened to get the correct person that was involved in those "boxes". In your case, that Phone taker, had to go FIND someone, he did not have any knowledge of what you needed. Doug

gonesouth
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure I agree. Last time I had a problem with the Beaver, Monaco's help line found me a guy who worked on the build line when it was going through. He was very familiar with the coach design and was able to work through locations of boxes they used with me until he came up with the right one. That was a two day process, but we got there in the end. He also hooked me up with another guy who was now retired and had been in the design office and solved another problem.

they set the bar high, IMHO
Currently planning for retirement.....planning to build a small home in Nova Scotia for summers and someday year-round. Trying to sort out a good way to spend winters in central Florida as I can't drive anymore.

Bruce_Brown
dougrainer wrote:
Blaster Man wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
Your dealer is always your best first option.

Not if he's 300 miles away and his mechanics don't have nearly the experience of the folks on the help line. The techs on the American Coach line will talk and walk you through your issue until it is fixed.

OEM phone techs have NO experiance. As someone who has delt with OEM's for 35 years and have met various OEM phone Tech people, they do NOT work on the Service Line, they only have the info that they pick up in meetings. This is true for both the OLD Monaco and Newmar, as I have had extensive contac with both. As to American Coach, that I have no idea about. They can walk you thru operation and minor troubleshooting, but so can almost all Dealer techs. I have had to deal with numerous times the Factory has sent parts to the customer or too us based on those phone conversations. Usually, after I install the part, I then have to get authorization to then FIX the real problem. Where do you think those Factory Phone techs get their knowledge? How do they get that knowledge? They don't, they sit on meeting or they go out to the Service Center and ask questions of the Factory service techs when they are not sure of the answer. IF you are not working as an RV Tech 5 days a week all year long, there is no way you can have any knowledge on RV systems. Doug

Exactly.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

kab449
Explorer
Explorer
I get through to the Tiffin receptionist every time with no wait. Different story when she transfers the call. Caller number 8 in the cue is frequent. They are all stretched to the limit. Higher interest rates will take care of that.
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3160Elite/2017 F250 Lariat Ultimate
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24Q Class B Mercedes Van
Keith & Brenda
Marley the Maltese
Central PA

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Blaster Man wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:

Not if he's 300 miles away and his mechanics don't have nearly the experience of the folks on the help line. The techs on the American Coach line will talk and walk you through your issue until it is fixed.

OEM phone techs have NO experiance. As someone who has delt with OEM's for 35 years and have met various OEM phone Tech people, they do NOT work on the Service Line, they only have the info that they pick up in meetings. This is true for both the OLD Monaco and Newmar, as I have had extensive contac with both. As to American Coach, that I have no idea about. They can walk you thru operation and minor troubleshooting, but so can almost all Dealer techs. I have had to deal with numerous times the Factory has sent parts to the customer or too us based on those phone conversations. Usually, after I install the part, I then have to get authorization to then FIX the real problem. Where do you think those Factory Phone techs get their knowledge? How do they get that knowledge? They don't, they sit on meeting or they go out to the Service Center and ask questions of the Factory service techs when they are not sure of the answer. IF you are not working as an RV Tech 5 days a week all year long, there is no way you can have any knowledge on RV systems. Doug

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:

2014 American Eagle

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are overthinking my response. I am simply saying, that's why someone with a cell phone might call an 800#. I do it all the time.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
With cell phones why would anyone call an 800 number?

When that is the only number listed, what else are you supposed to do?

Two clicks and I found it on the back of the Brochure - really not very difficult.

As in most literature - go the last page look at there it is a REAL NUMBER. 574 773 2895

Trust me if I have a problem, I can usually find someone to call.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Bruce_Brown
Stutch wrote:
By the way, there is no excuse for not responding to my email.

Unless they're using dial-up and it comes through on the 800 number. :B

Sorry - I couldn't resist.

I agree on the email part - someone should be assigned to monitor and address that.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Stutch
Explorer
Explorer
I've been high tech industry since the mid 70s and spent 15 of those in telephony. I can tell you that there is no such thing as Telephone Number difficulty that lasts more than a day or 2. Mostly a down pole or something physical.

Their 800# is published and tied directly to their "Customer Experience" reputation. Someone there is not doing their job or not paying attention. Their email marketing program is in perfect shape!

Don, thanks for the number. I just wish Newmar would monitor these boards for these types of posts. My company and many others subscribe to services that pay attention to all social sites for this exact thing.

By the way, there is no excuse for not responding to my email.
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
Honda CRV
TM

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
With cell phones why would anyone call an 800 number?

When that is the only number listed, what else are you supposed to do?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Newmar is like any other RV company. They treat you like a king when you are thinking of buying their product, but once you drive out of the dealers parking lot they have a short memory.

My friend that had lots of problems with his DutchStar had lots of problems with the dealer trying to solve most of the problems, and Newmar customer service was always giving the run around. But I honestly believe they are all like that.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
Newmar knows they have an issue with the 800 number and are working on it. I love my Newmar, but I find it hard to believe in this day and age and a company that big, that they can't resolve this quickly. I know it's been a problem for months.

I hate to give this number out, but you will get through on their direct number.....(574) 773-7791

With cell phones why would anyone call an 800 number? I always dial the direct number - one you get through - get the number of the service Manager. I do not own a Newmar but have talked with them when we were in the search and they are Honest and Very Easy to deal with, if I were buying they would be on my very short list.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach