cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

noisy water pump

zac451
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody know how to quiet down my water pump? When the pump comes on it rattles the plumbing (really loud), Thor told me they put in a cheaper pump and to fix it I would have to put in a better quality pump. Any ideas or should I just replace the pump with a better one.
21 REPLIES 21

zac451
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for you ideas, for what I paid for this 2013 Freedom Elite, I don't want to contribute any more then I Have too...$$$$. I will try your ideas first and let you know what works....Zac451
By the way, I was just at Thor to get some repairs done on my slide out. Great people to work with. The Mechanics are great and the service Reps will do everything they can to make you happy.
Also met a great Guy (Aikenracer)From SC that was there for some repairs on his Bigggg Pusher. It was nice to have someone to talk to while I was waiting for my repairs to be done.
Thanks again for the replies.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
You can also install a small accumulator tank in discharge line. That will minimize the pump cycling times which helps quiet it down.
I installed a 2 gallon accumulator and it really makes the RV water pressure more like a house. Water pressure is more consistent, especially beneficial when taking a shower. The pump cycles nicely, a much more friendly sound than the on/off groaning all the time.

Total investment was between $40 & $50. If you look close, the brass elbow to the left has the flex hose attached from behind. I also added a ball valve seen in the foreground, for an emergency just in case I had a catestrphic failure of some sort and needed to quickly cut off the supply from the fresh water tank. 5 years so far and the setup is still working great.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
water pump noise
More water pump noise
pump again 2011
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Exactly....the pump discharge line should be a flex hose vs rigid pipe.
Also secure the piping so that is doesn't move around banging on inside of cabinet.

You can also install a small accumulator tank in discharge line. That will minimize the pump cycling times which helps quiet it down.

Pump should be mounted on rubber feet....if loose or too tight it will be nosier.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
No need to replace your pump. You only need to isolate the pump vibration from the RV plumbing. Install a stainless steel braided intermediate piece of plumbing like shown here, making a world of difference. Also make sure your pump is mounted with rubber grommets.

Sold in all home improvement centers in lengths from 6" to numerous feet. Cost is very affordable.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Search this Forum for `noisy water pump' and/or `noisy pump' and read on. This is a very popular subject.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Before doing that...and this comes from experience...check at the inlet of the pump to see if you have a screen/filter gizmo, coming off the line>>> to the pump. If so, remove and clean, then see if that makes a difference. If not..then yeah, a pump change. You do it yourself and the pump is along about $75 or so. Shure-Flow.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/