cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-commercial Class B license

Colbie_s_family
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we purchased our first RV, I asked if a special license was required to drive RV's and was told no. Well that RV was 36' and that answer was correct. However, we upgraded to a Phaeton 40AH, which is listed on the specs as appx 41.5'. I now know after driving it last year for 5 months, that if it is indeed over 40', I now need a non-commercial Class B license. Ignorance was bliss!

I am now in the process of learning what I need to do to get this license. I've seen some older posts and it seems that experiences vary depending on where and when others have received theirs. Has anyone from southern CA recently applied for this license and taken the written and driving tests? If so, can you provide me with some feedback re: what I should be reviewing to prepare for both of these exams?

Also, between now and when I am able to get the license, does anyone know what happens if you are stopped and don't have it yet?

Thanks for any info.
25 REPLIES 25

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
One side of me loves living in Arizona because one can drive any length or weight of motorhome/trailer without requiring any extra licensing.

The other side of me would like to see all drivers of large RV's, especially those with air brakes, pass the same testing required of commercial drivers.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
Motorhomes licensees are not regulated in NC by length. They are regulated by weight.

But, a licensee must meet the requirements in their state of residence.

All other states (reciprocity) recognize other state's driver's licenses.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
midnightsadie wrote:
x2 yep wolfe has it right your driving without the proper lic, your at fault.

X3. Ignorance of the law is no excuse legally or liability wise.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
Motorhomes licensees are not regulated in NC by length. They are regulated by weight.

Not positive about this but I think CA is the one state that does uss length as a determining factor. In MD, and many others, 26,000# is a trigger for a Class B and if a trailer being towed is greater than 10,000#, a Class A is required.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
They have taped motorhome in NC as well as trailers for length. Put a bunch out of service on a race weekend. Get the ticket you need
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
And, I would suggest exactly the opposite.

Were you ever involved in an accident and were not properly licensed to drive the vehicle you are in, you would be open to both police and perhaps additional legal/liability issues.

yep, that would be my first statement to the cop, is he licensed to drive that big a rv? Is that too wide for this road. etc.
bumpy

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Since your in California, get the license!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 yep wolfe has it right your driving without the proper lic, your at fault.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
And, I would suggest exactly the opposite.

Were you ever involved in an accident and were not properly licensed to drive the vehicle you are in, you would be open to both police and perhaps additional legal/liability issues.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Me, I wouldn't worry about getting the license on the grounds that you're driving a 40 footer, hence the 40AH model number. When was the last time you got pulled over driving any motorhome? I'll bet it's a pretty slim chance your license would ever come up. What cop knows anything about a motorhome? If he does I bet he'll be looking for one with a tag axle as 99% of those are over 40 feet. Just tell him it's a 40 footer. He won't know the difference and I doubt he's going to get out a tape measure.

Bottom line is I wouldn't get a non-commercial CDL for your rig.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE