cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OEM Tires 2004 BT Cruiser

Sheddah
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know the OEM Tire specs for a Gulfstream BT Cruiser 2003 or 2004? I replaced the tires last year, but did not purchase Michelins (which is what Gulfstream used initially), but the RV is a lot harder to handle now. The tires don't grip like the OEM's did, and in windy and/or wet conditions I don't feel confident driving it.

I'm seriously considering replacing them with the original equipment, or equivalent Michelins and selling these at a loss. I would seriously appreciate any help. (In retrospect I should have at least written down the OEM specs.:S
DH and Me :B
2004 BT Cruiser 28 Ft
6 REPLIES 6

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm going to say the following in the belief your front end (suspension and steering) is tight and there haven't been changes or damage there...

Thanks to efforts to standardize in the tire industry, you can use one manufacturer's Load/Pressure Chart for other manufacturers' tires.
Michelin's chart is easy to find. Go to your "LT225/75R16 E" tire size and you'll see that 65-psi in Single (front axle) service carries 4670-pounds. The Door Jamb Sticker from Ford shows GAWR-F (Gross Axle Weight Rating - Front) as 4600-pounds.
Up through 2007, GAWR-F for E450 was 4600. Typically the coach builder only repeats Ford's numbers.
What we need to do is use the rest of a chart like Michelin's. Load your coach like you would for an RVing trip. People, supplies, tanks, equipment. Take a jaunt to a truck stop with a CAT scale. Tow your toad if you have one. For $10 you get legal-for-trade weights for Steer/Front, Drive/Rear, and Trailer/Toad.
I'm going out on a limb and guessing you do not have close to 4600 on that front axle. Most Class C's have a long rear overhang with a relatively short wheelbase. If you have 4000-pounds on the front axle, you need to come down to 55-psi. 3800? Then only 50-psi.
Make adjustments and take another test drive. I don't want you getting new tires, overinflating them (relative to actual load) and being in the same position you are now. Fords are very sensitive to front tire pressure when it comes to tracking on the road. The rear axle weight will be informative. Hopefully below GAWR-R and you can reduce pressure a little for better ride, but rear won't affect tracking.
At least the tire installers didn't "sidewall" you. You know, "Says 80, put 80 in all six." That just happened to us on a set of new tires. Went over a high bridge with some crosswind. OK going up. Downgrade unloads suspension a little and the RV became nearly uncontrollable. Stopped as soon as I could and tire gauge showed 80-plus. Dropped pressures to 65-plus and the rest of the drive was OK.
Know and verify the right pressures for your coach, your load.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ronfisherman
After reading many Class C threads. I see many post on handling that end up being solved by a front end alignment. Here is the latest.
Adventures in alignment or wanderer no more
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Sheddah
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks tp all~

I did find the sticker with tire data. It was inside the cabinet over the sofa in the slide out. I purchased the correct tires, but they are Cooper tires--not Michelins. That is the difference.

The front tires were inflated to 65 lbs, rear 80 lbs. The installer asked me and I checked after them to be sure. I just don't get the sure-footed response that I did from the Michelin tires. ๐Ÿ˜ž I actually get nervous sometimes where I was confident before.

I appreciate the information on the Michelin OEM tires; that is exactly what I was looking for!

I will check pressures again when the tire covers come off in May. And will drive it again this year with these tires to evaluate their performance further. I'll probably have to drive 5-10 mph slower to feel confident again. We'll see.
2004 BT Cruiser 28 Ft

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford E-series cutaway? Since introduction of the E-450, tire specified by Ford has been LT225/75Rx16E, on 16.0x6K wheels, for both E-350 and E-450. For chassis going to RV manufacturers, Ford put on Michelin LTX M/S, then later LTX M/S2 when Michelin made the materials, tread and construction changes a few years ago.

Although the E-350 does not by weight require LR-E tires, that's what it gets, will lower inflation pressures specified for maximum load. I.E. instead of 80 rear, 65 front, it E-350 will be 60 rear, 65 front.

Tread design can make a difference in handling, particularly if the outer tread bands are blocky, rather than being solid ribs. Rubber compounds also make a difference.

But often, loose handling for the E-series, van or cutaway, is a result of overinflating the front tires to the 80 PSI max on the sidewall, rather than the 60-65 PSI that is appropriate for maximum front axle load. Too much pressure for the load will reduce the front tire contact patch and reduce the turning force available from tire distortion, making the front end slippery.

Make sure inflation pressures are correct, preferably for actual load, but no higher than needed for maximum loads, before giving up on the tires you bought. Chances are, whoever installed them, inflated to 80 PSI all around, because that's the number on the sidewall.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Sheddah
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm. No sticker near the slide, but there is a sticker in the cabinet above the sink. I'll take a look at it when I get outside.

Thanks!
2004 BT Cruiser 28 Ft

ronfisherman
There is a sticker next to overhead cabinets in living room slide that has all the tire data in my MH. Yours will have one also.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD