cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oil Change before Storage

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
I Store my coach a Ford V10 every year at the Fair Grounds for the winter. I always change the oil in coach and gen set right before I drive it over to the fair grounds.This year I will only have a little over 1,000 miles on the coach oil. Would it be ok to store it for 5 months or would you change it. I do it my self so with filter the cost is a little over 30 dollars for me to do it. It is not the coast but it seems such a waist of good motor oil.
18 REPLIES 18

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
Leaving the oil (with only 1000 miles on it) unchanged for the winter should not do the motor any harm.

When my coach is in "storage" (not used for a few months) every 2-3 weeks I start the motor and the genny and let them run for about 1/2 hour.

Letting it sit with 1000 mile oil in it is no worse than running it with the same 1000 mile oil.

Starting it periodically is good....IF.....
You have no access to power for battery tenders AND you let each engine run long enough to get thoroughly HOT to burn off any condensation that forms. Along with that, you should move the rig a few inches to distribute the "flat spot" on the tires.

If you have power for battery maintenance, there really is no NEED to start the engines periodically.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are in a controlled climate indoor storage facility, condensation is your enemy when it comes to stored vehicles. As the temps change during the day, the moisture that builds up will cause the engine to rust from the inside. Although oil and water don't mix, the oil WILL transport the condensate/water throughout the engine and if it doesn't come up to operating temp long enough to evaporate it, then you have moisture throughout the oil ports in the engine that sits and does its damage. That's why it's not a great idea to run the engine if you're not going to bring it completely up to temp. Lot's of motorcyclists like to go out to the shed to hear the engine run for a few minutes during the winter since they can't ride...thinking that they are doing good by "circulating" the oil. In reality, they are causing harm by circulating the water that has built up in the oil pan and other places from condensation inside the engine and not getting it hot enough to evaporate it.

It's a good idea to have fresh oil in the coach before putting it to bed for the winter, but with only 1K miles on the current oil, you'll be fine until you get it out in the Spring and take it up the road to get the engine up to temp! My $.02 worth....
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it's recommended you change oil before storing a vehicle because of the acids that build up in the engine.
I would not worry about oil with only 1000 miles usage.

But, if it makes you feel better, change it. I would not.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving the oil (with only 1000 miles on it) unchanged for the winter should not do the motor any harm. But...if you feel uncomfortable, change it and the filter. I don't see a problem either way.
When my coach is in "storage" (not used for a few months) every 2-3 weeks I start the motor and the genny and let them run for about 1/2 hour. Some posters here say "yes" to that...others say "no". But....I feel better, and seeing I pay the bills.........
In short, do whatever you're comfortable with. There ain't no rule.