cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil Pressure Help Needed! - 1993/p30/454

YDORNMT
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1993 National SeaBreeze / P30 Chassis/ Chevy 454. Two days ago I checked fluids, everything was good, it ran just fine, drove it to dump it, parked it. Went to turn it on today, and oil pressure went straight to 80 instantly. Turned it off, turned it onna few minutes later, same thing. Went to take a video for this post, Ave off course now it's acting fine.

Any suggestions on what could have triggered it to do this?

Much appreciated... I am supposed to be driving this all the way to Minnesota here soon, and that oil pressure 'problem' has me a little scared.

I'm not super mechanical savvy, but my dad is a retired Volvo mechanic who worked in a union shop his entire career, and I live with him. So if there's anything I don't understand, I can sort of fall back to him for help.

(I'm going to try to drive this thing about 30 miles to go get the thing legal advice get plates, so fingers crossed. In the event that it decides it didn't want to, I'll shut it down and call for help (I have AAA RV and GoodSam)
9 REPLIES 9

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
When all these ideas do not fix the problem, it may be time to look at the oil pump bypass. Your description sounds like the bypass valve is hanging open then it is first started. It could be hanging closed because of wear, or debris in the system not allowing the valve to open. Good luck fixing your oil pressure problem.
Wildmanbaker

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
You either have a flakey oil sender or your relay is acting up. The relay under the doghouse hung on the inside up against where your accelerator pedal is at. I'd replace the relay first.

I'd get a can of electrical contact cleaner and spray the connector end on the switch till clean.
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

YDORNMT
Explorer
Explorer
If I could get this thing to start up a d not be blocking the dump Loves if be able to mess with it.

This is my life lately. Ugh.

YDORNMT
Explorer
Explorer
Its a Chevy 454.

YDORNMT
Explorer
Explorer
Well usually it goes up and then right back down. When I posted, I had just checked all the fluids (I'm pretty sure there is way too much water in it though, I'll make a different post about that) and it ran fine. I parked it overnight, went to move it the following morning, and instead of gauge going back down to 40ish, it stayed maxed out.

I will see what I can do about checking the possible situations y'all gave me.

I turned it off, on, off on, off, and then the third time I turned it back on the gauge read as normal. So I bet you're right about what it is. Sounds right anyhow.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
YDORNMT ....Let us know what you find out about this problem. Inquiring minds would like to know.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ydor,

Richard is wonderfully accurate.

First question: Does that gage go up before the engine starts?
If yes, that is a failed or shorted wire.

Another test for a shorted wire, pull the terminal off the sending unit.
What happens? (if you can reach it.)

If you run with the sender disconnected and the pressure drops to zero, that just means the short has cleared. Reconnect it and look for the damage where the mouse ate the insulation.

If it does drop to zero and you are worried, let it idle down and listen for the lifters (lash adjusters) to start clattering. When they don't get the lube oil pressure they need, they complain!

Lastly, there is just no way a BB can have that High a lube oil pressure. It just can't happen. The OE pump can't do it. (IMHEO)

So run it and fix the gage later.

Matt - a refugee from the engine labs in Detroit
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Most dashboard oil pressure gauges are electronic and are notorious for failing/not giving accurate readings.

Most Ford products with oil pressure gauges are really just glorified "idiot light". The sensor is just a switch that says yes you have oil pressure or no you do not.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I see 2 possabilities.
The wire from the oil pressure sending switch may have temporally shorted to ground. The switch sends a modulated ground signal to the gauge. Thus a short will peg the gauge high. Or the oil pressure sending switch is failing.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson