Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan 4KY fuel pump removal

krivanj
Explorer
Explorer
How really knows?
Is the fuel pump held in place with just the one bolt or are there two, one being on the right side, where you cannot see it? It looks like if you take out the one torx screw, it might just lift off, but I can't tell. Of course the torx screw is stripped, so I am wondering if I will have two to fight.
Fleetwood Revolution LE 38X
2011 Scion TC toad
4 REPLIES 4

krivanj
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, same exact thing.
Darn thing is under warranty too, but no one will have time to work on it before we leave on vacation, so I found another brand pump and it works fine. When we get home, I will take it to the Onan service guy.
2011 Scion TC toad

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I had exactly the same thing happen! The generator would run 10-15 minutes, then surge like a lawn mower running out of gas and shut down. Wouldn't restart until the pump cooled off for about 1/2 hour and then the gen would again run for about 10 minutes and quit.

BTW, I had a leak at the pump to filter threaded connection on the new pump/filter. Not good to have a gas leak! I applied some plumber's pipe dope (not the Teflon tape) to the threads of the pump, being careful to keep it away from the end so none would get into the pump. No leak since.

I assume you disconnected shore power and house battery ground and took out the control board for access to the pump. It's kind of buried in there.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

krivanj
Explorer
Explorer
That is it! What I wanted to know! Thanks!
The pump is broken, only works until it heats up, then stops pumping, then the generator dies. I bypassed it with another pump and that fixed it but could not get the darn torx screw out. Tomorrow, I will!
2011 Scion TC toad

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
On mine there is one Torx screw. The other foot slides into a slot.

Replace the filter while you are at it.

Filter
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚