cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan generator switch?

Claybe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a majestic rv and the inside generator switch does not work. I have tested it. Does anyone know where to get a momentary on-off-momentary on switch??? I have looked everywhere and can't find this. Any suggestions?
19 REPLIES 19

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck! I hope you finally found the issue. I recently went through similar teouble shooting with my Gennie. I also have a Majestic (former CA rental) and had to replace the 30amp breaker on the Gennie recently because it rattled loose and broke. Hope you solved the mystery.

Claybe
Explorer
Explorer
Well I guess this has turned into a diary for people who have the same problem!

I took out the module and looked for any loose wires. Everything looked fine. Finally after looking several other places I determined that I needed to check continuity between the wiring harness and the switch. Turns out that there is no continuity in the yellow/red wire. Looks like I found my issue. Now comes the hard part....finding where the wire is disconnected. Let the fun begin!

Claybe
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Assuming it's similar to mine (which may or may not be the case, as I'm not in a position to check the model number), there's a small (5A?) DC fuse on the little control panel on the generator itself, next to the start/stop switch and the AC circuit breaker.

The main DC power feed to the generator is of course a much heavier wire, and wired more or less directly to the battery of the coach (in my case, the chassis battery, though the house battery is also used sometimes). This connects to the solenoid for the starter, and thence to the starter, with a wire for the control power for the generator also attached to the input side of the solenoid.

If you don't have 12V power getting to the starter solenoid, you obviously won't be able to start the generator. That may be switched by a battery disconnect switch somewhere or some similar arrangement.

Yes that is what I thought too. The pictures in the manual show it should be there but there is no fuse. No housing for one either. I took the casing off and looked behind the switch and no fuse. There is no fuse in the main fuse panel either. I have no idea where it is. This is a RVQG 4000 genset that is the K Spec series. The manual listed a few posts back is for spec series up to G.

ronfisherman
On my MH there are several circuit breakers located in a compartment. They look similar to this one at AMAZON..
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming it's similar to mine (which may or may not be the case, as I'm not in a position to check the model number), there's a small (5A?) DC fuse on the little control panel on the generator itself, next to the start/stop switch and the AC circuit breaker.

The main DC power feed to the generator is of course a much heavier wire, and wired more or less directly to the battery of the coach (in my case, the chassis battery, though the house battery is also used sometimes). This connects to the solenoid for the starter, and thence to the starter, with a wire for the control power for the generator also attached to the input side of the solenoid.

If you don't have 12V power getting to the starter solenoid, you obviously won't be able to start the generator. That may be switched by a battery disconnect switch somewhere or some similar arrangement.

Claybe
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled the 3 wires and they are for the 120 off the gen. Those wires needed to be redone anyway but they don't have anything to do with my problem. I still can not find the fuse. Does anyone know where the fuse is off the gen to starting???

Claybe
Explorer
Explorer
The model number is rv qg 4000. I have still not figured this out. I cut and spliced the 6 small wires that go into the generator and connect to the remote start. There are 3 bigger wires that come out down there. Does anyone know if they have anything to do with the remote start? I have redone the ground and am about to start pull everything out and apart.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is service manual link that should be for your unit.
Onan service manual.
Here is another post having similar issue.
Other thread

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Claybe
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is an onan micro quiet 4000 but I will have to double check that tomorrow in the light. Thanks for the help Bud

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What is the model of the genset?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Claybe
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Take the existing switch out and look for identifying markings.

It says mcgill 0852-0284. The one I ordered is mcgill 0852-0180. Both have 5 poles on the back and switch up and down. The 0180 is not momentary switch the 0284 is momentary.

I guess I need to check the fuse but I can't find it. I looked in the genset manual and it isn't listed in there.

Claybe
Explorer
Explorer
Checked the wires and disconnected and reconnected. I can't find the fuse????
I ordered this switch a week ago and it came today. It does not work because it is not momentary. It actually doesn't do anything which begs the question of the problem being at the generator. Because shouldn't it do something???
http://www.oempartsllc.com/switchrockerspdton-off-onlitmcgill0852-0180.aspx

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Take the existing switch out and look for identifying markings.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Claybe
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to check the fuse and wires now.