cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One trip all 48 States

Buster52
Explorer
Explorer
Just for the fun of it I was figuring the shortest trip I could do from Central California and touch all 48. I have it some where just over 9400 miles. Has anyone tried this? And what is the shortest distance to touch all 48 States?

Buster
22 REPLIES 22

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
There are 50 states. Not 48 since 1959

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Charles wrote:
3 guys did it in 97 hrs and 7 min without speeding. I don't think they saw much of each state tho.

Not on the highways they didn't, not without speeding. Assuming they maintained a constant average speed of 65 MPH throughout the entire 97 hours, they could have only traveled 6,305 miles. I think the OP's distance of 9400 miles to touch every state in the lower 48 is probably closer to accurate.

Look at the links posted above. The guy on the motorcycle posted what appears to be a very efficient route to touch every state. He's just hitting the very corners of the outlying states like Washington, Maine, Florida, and California. And still his route is 8,000 miles. To do 8,000 miles in 97 hours you would have to average 82 miles per hour. That means every time you stopped for fuel or slowed for traffic that would have to be made up by going well over 82.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
3 guys did it in 97 hrs and 7 min without speeding. I don't think they saw much of each state tho.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Here's one persons route to The Lower 48.
There are other maps and opinions available

Here's another Route.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
The only way to really enjoy it would be not using any interstates.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
It took us 7 yrs..........and it wasn't the shortest route.

Course we took our time and wanted to enjoy the travel.......not just travel
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Just take lots of trips or one real long trip and enjoy the journey.

Each state has interesting stuff to see and do, and it will not be in the most efficient routing scheme.

I would say, "just do it", but I still have a few states to visit in 65 years of traveling. And those visits include riding from Airport to Hotel and back.

I can say I shook hands with Nixon and Humphrey when I was 10 at the Capital building. We camped in a tent in DC on the same trip while we toured the memorials, Smithsonian, etc. I do not think that is possible today.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

leaddog
Explorer
Explorer
When did we lose 2 states? I thought we had 50 states in the US. LOL

Assume you meant the "lower 48" states. We've driven in all of them plus Alaska and I know we went over 9400 miles. Of course we didn't take the shortest and most direct routes in the lower 48. There sure is a lot to see out there and enjoy.
2008 40ft Tiffin Allegro Bus
2014 Honda CR-V AWD