cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on Class C purchase (2003 HR Atlantis)

tmaxx
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a "new" used RV with more towing capacity. I've found a 2003 Holiday Rambler Atlantis 29PBD with 37k miles for $16,900
. I don't know much about this brand. I haven't looked at the RV yet as is located in another state. I am planning to have some relatives look at it for me on Monday and give their opinion.
I've read some from the Holiday Rambler website and they mention a Alumaframe Superstructure which includes aluminum siding and roof. This is the first I had heard about aluminum being used on the exterior of a modern RV. Are there advantages/disadvantages to the aluminum in terms of water leakage?

I could use others feedback on the quality of the Holiday Rambler Atlantis class c RV.

Are there any weak areas with this brand I should focus on when checking out this RV?

The dealer selling this mentioned that the auxiliary battery needs to be replaced. I am not sure what this battery is used for. Would it be something I would need to replace before driving to my home?
12 REPLIES 12

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2002 and love it! They are quality rigs. That sounds like a good price to me. Maybe you can get the dealer to throw in a set of tires too? As others have said, make sure there is no water intrusion. Good luck!
2002 27PBS Holiday Rambler (Aluminum sided/roof) Love it!

Previous RV's
'94 Jamboree 22ft. (This beast had a 460 with tons of power)
'95 VW Eurovan camper (5 cyl. dog) Pulled a 3 rail fine though.
Tent:(
Borrowed folks '84 VW Westfalia (water cooled)

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
H-R was using aluminum skin rather than fiberglass sheeting on C and A gasser motorhomes at least through 2003. Even after switching to fiberglass skins, H-R did not laminate the wall panels, rather they built framed walls and skinned them.

This practice continued until Monaco Corp shut down the Holiday Rambler plant, and moved production of the brand to their R-Vision plant. At that point, in my opinion, Holiday Rambler ceased to exist, when the brand just became another badge on R-Vision RVs, for C's it would be TrailLite build technology with Holiday Rambler decoration.

The H-R Atlantis you are looking at can be considered special, a rare find of something that was too expensive to continue manufacturing in a market going downhill and buyers seeking lowest possible prices. If it is in good condition, I say snap it up, nobody makes a C that well built any longer, except maybe LazyDaze.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

ronfisherman
Checking out all systems before buying would require a good coach and chassis battery. Tell seller it needs good batteries.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
tmaxxa: "If I ran the generator, wouldn't that be sufficient to power up any of the electrical system on the RV to check it out even if the house battery is bad?"
That is a smart move as it then also checks out the generator. Be sure to put a load on it by using the AC and/or using small heaters or hair dryer, anything that uses excess power. 15 to 30 minutes will be needed.
But using a generator does not check out things that don't use 120v when on the road or when there is no electricity. Most people would not use the generator for more than one hour at a time.

ConnieP
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 Atlantis 32' and can tell you it is a great RV. The aluminum sides are smooth and we do not have to worry about delamination like you would if it was fiberglass sides. The roof is also aluminum which is great. We had a 2004 Gulf Stream class A before this one and paid so much more for it but found this one to be so much less hassle. The RV has plenty of power and handles well. I hope the one you are looking at is in good shape and checks out well. The price sounds fantastic!

tmaxx
Explorer
Explorer
pmallonee wrote:
I'd definitely get the dealer to throw in the house batteries. I believe HR uses fiberglass roofs, which is better than sheet rubber. Seems like aluminum would be better than wood. One less thing to rot. Does this unit have smooth aluminum siding (as opposed to fiberglass)?

The seller told me it has aluminum roof and siding. The brochure seems to indicate this was standard for this model:
BODY CONSTRUCTION
Standard Features
Alumaframe® Superstructure with Five-Year Warranty
Aluminum Roof
Smooth Aluminum Sidewalls

tmaxx
Explorer
Explorer
ReadyToGo wrote:
You do need a working auxiliary battery. There are a few things that work off of that. Most refrig need it to start up, all lights when not connected to electricity, the furnace at all times. Wether you need on the way home is up to you, but I think the seller should replace it so that you can fully check out the camper. For instance, does the furnace work, or refrig. If there is a slideout, that may or may not need the battery.
I would suggest you hire a RV mechanic to check the unit out if you decide to buy it. From you question, I take it that you are a newby to RVs.

Yes, I am a newby. From the brochure for this RV, it states there is one 12V House Battery. I am guessing this is the aux battery that the seller is referring to as needing replaced. If I ran the generator, wouldn't that be sufficient to power up any of the electrical system on the RV to check it out even if the house battery is bad?

tmaxx
Explorer
Explorer
Does the price ($16,900) sound reasonable or in the ball park assuming not significant issues?
The tires were new in 2009, so 5 years old now. I'll take someone's advice here about asking the seller to throw in new batteries.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
With any used RV, make sure the unit is checked for water intrusion. Have your checker carefully examine the area of the cab-over bed, all corners, and around the windows for evidence of water, moisture, or "softness" which indicates rot. Check all windows, the inside roof area around the air conditioner, and any other items that poke through to the outside roof. As noted by others, have them check operation of all appliances, generator (if equipped), and get your checkers to find out the Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity of the unit. Also, determine the age of the tires (check the date codes on the tires). They will need to be replaced if six years old or more, no matter how good the tread looks. Good luck for a successful purchase.

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
Try their web site http://www.holidayrambler.com/owners/brochures.asp . Looks like you can download a brochure on the 2003 model. In 2003 we looked at this model new the next size down 27PDB, and it was a very nice MH. Didn't purchase ended up buying a shorter 03 Winnebago Minnie. If I remember correctly the HR Atlantis was a step up from the Minnie. I think it takes two deep cycle coach batteries, if it needs new batteries have them include them in the deal you make. Dick

roadrat2
Explorer
Explorer
I'd definitely get the dealer to throw in the house batteries. I believe HR uses fiberglass roofs, which is better than sheet rubber. Seems like aluminum would be better than wood. One less thing to rot. Does this unit have smooth aluminum siding (as opposed to fiberglass)?
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT25SB
2006 F-350 6.0L

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
You do need a working auxiliary battery. There are a few things that work off of that. Most refrig need it to start up, all lights when not connected to electricity, the furnace at all times. Wether you need on the way home is up to you, but I think the seller should replace it so that you can fully check out the camper. For instance, does the furnace work, or refrig. If there is a slideout, that may or may not need the battery.
I would suggest you hire a RV mechanic to check the unit out if you decide to buy it. From you question, I take it that you are a newby to RVs.