Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watching someone backup with a toad attached

cwdavis
Explorer
Explorer
Relevant to the recent (closed) post on backing up with a toad attached:
clicky

We observed someone doing just that today, and it was rather horrifying! The fellow was leaving the campground and stopped on his way out to dump off his trash. Unfortunately, he pulled into the 'In' lane, rather than the 'Out', and after realizing that and stopping, he just parked and completed his mission. Then, we watched to see how he'd get out of the predicament, one where he had a too sharp right-hand turn to get properly oriented to leave. What he did caught us by surprise:

He backed up, with no one in his toad. For about half the distance he had to back up, everything was OK, but then the front wheels of the toad began to pivot. Very quickly, they pivoted to the max, began to skid, then the whole toad was skidding, 4 wheels down! He finished backing up, made his turn and left -- the whole thing happened too quickly to run out to alert him as to what was happening.

Hopefully, he made it to his destination safely ... It's hard to imagine the stresses on his tow apparatus and the chassis of his toad when the whole vehicle was skidding across the pavement!
Bill & Ann Davis
1995 36' CC Intrigue
WHTAL!FE
26 REPLIES 26

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Jagtech wrote:
howdy35 wrote:
As "Davinet" commented on this topic. To get back, put the MH in N and start the toad and PULL the MH back as far as needed. Your bride can be in the MH or toad whichever way works best for your family. Communication can be by phone or walkie talkie. We always use this method when we need to 'get back' more than a few feet.

This is a little risky. Most tow bars are rated for around 5000#. If you are pulling something at 4-5 times that weight, be aware of the damage it can cause to your bar.
I could push my or your motorhome on flat level ground with my hands. Last time I checked, I could not push 5K lbs. The force to move a motorhome at 2 mph is much less than towing a 5K lbs car at 70 mph up an 6% grade.
IRV2

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
Jagtech wrote:
howdy35 wrote:
As "Davinet" commented on this topic. To get back, put the MH in N and start the toad and PULL the MH back as far as needed. Your bride can be in the MH or toad whichever way works best for your family. Communication can be by phone or walkie talkie. We always use this method when we need to 'get back' more than a few feet.

This is a little risky. Most tow bars are rated for around 5000#. If you are pulling something at 4-5 times that weight, be aware of the damage it can cause to your bar.

I would guess that the 5K pounds is a static weight rating and that they are able to withstand much more than that with braking, turning, etc. I could be wrong.

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
howdy35 wrote:

1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

TomB_
Explorer
Explorer
For a moment I thought one of you guys caught me doing that earlier this month....:B

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I have backed up many times for a short distance. Just keep toad wheels straight!
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
For the few min it takes to unhook, won't take the chance. What is a couple min, to keep from breaking something.

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
viajante wrote:
Won't backing with the tow attached damage the tow bar?

Short distances at a very slow speed straight back should not be a problem. It the toad jack knifes, as what the OP observed, then there is the very real potential of tow bar, toad and coach damage from the extreme angles and stress of the maneuver. Tow bars are pretty stout items. Seen several pictures of accidents with a coach on its roof or side but the toad still firmly attached.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
slickest1 wrote:
Some people have enough trouble going ahead yet alone backing up.

Thanks for a good chuckle :B
I used to tow a hunting jeep that towed better with the steering wheel locked. Tow bar had large tubes (1.25"+) and I'd push it backwards as needed. Unfortunately the new bars are much smaller and once the front wheels want to cock sideways it's time to stop backing up.
I've solved the backing up issue in "How I tow" below.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
There is an even simpler solution to the backing-with-towed-vehicle problem:
JUST DON'T DO IT!
I did it once, on gravel, with predictable results.
I will never try it again.
I will disconnect, move the vehicles, reconnect, and go on my way.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
There is a simple solution. IF you are backing straight up, lock the steering wheel. That will keep the wheel straight and prevent it from slamming one way or the other. The other solution is to put the motorhome in neutral, start the car and pull the motorhome back with the car. Second method is only advised if you are on flat hard ground. Don't try to pull the motorhome on soft dirt or up a hill. You should be able to roll the motorhome without stepping on the gas, but just idling backwards.
IRV2

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Some people have enough trouble going ahead yet alone backing up.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
viajante wrote:
Won't backing with the tow attached damage the tow bar ? When my tow bar was first installed, I was told that backing would damage the tow bar.

No, tow bars are a triangular rigid connection between the MH and the towed.
When towing, the MH exerts primarily pull on the towed, guiding it. When braking, or on downhill grades the towed exerts push on the coach, when the towed's brakes are not engaged or equal to the braking power of the coach.
How is the little pressure of backing slowly, for short distances, going to exceed even the smallest % of the forces that tow bar absorbs and transfers at highway speeds to both units in extreme hills and even panic stops?
As I have posted before, backing is doable, without damage, to the educated.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I watched a guy back up a Jeep CJ one time for about 50'. He had a 24' RV and a home made 12' foot long triangle tow bar. I had to go out and tip my hat too him. The longer the tow bar, the easier it is to back up.