cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camp Frieghtliner

et2
Explorer
Explorer
So I finally signed up for the class this spring. Planning on driving down with the wife and taking a extended vacation after. We are considering driving to the Outer Banks for about 4 or five days.

Is the route from Gaffney SC to the Outer Banks a easy drive, or any concerns for a 42' MH and toad. Would any of you folks who have do e this say it's a one day drive or two? It looks to be about 432 miles going 85 - 40 - 64. We drive about 60 mph. So I'm guessing 8 hours? Without knowing the terrain or many areas that will slow us down. If so we can do it in two no biggie. Is there any sights along that route that would make it worth staying overnight?

Also any suggestions on full hookup RV parks on the ocean in the Outer Banks worth staying at?

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4

ricklord2001
Explorer
Explorer
Back when my wife was still working and I had just retired, I took a few long trips (Atl to Vegas,etc) by myself with 2 dogs. I planned on 350mi per day but ended up doing 450 to 500 easy, and that's stopping for the dogs to go the bathroom a lot. Now that the DW is retired 350 is pushing it. Wait for her to get ready in the morning, pick everything up,etc,etc.
After reading many post on here in other forums most people seem to agree that 300 to 350mi is a good day. I would plan on that and keep going if your comfortable. I do try to get into any campground or tight area prior to dark though to many things you can not see ump out and scar/crunch a big rig

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
I do this drive in my sleep..40 is easy then you get on 440 for all of two miles to 64 east..straight shot to Williamston NC then 64 turns to a four lane non interstate into Plymouth, then back to a super highway until Columbia then single lane each direction (plenty of room) until Manteo..

In Rodanthe KOA and Hatteras next door to each other..both great for kids..in Wanchese ..next to Manteo...is the Refuge which is where we lived while our stick/brick was being finished(quiet has pool and a stone's throw to Nags Head...if you wish to stay in the mid Outer Banks. (Kill Devil Hills) there is OBX Campground in Colington..private but decent...and Kitty Hawk RV Park which has smaller sites but full hookups...if you are coming during June to August, stay in Rodanthe and it's a short 20 miles or less into Nags Head from Rodanthe...any more info just PM me....also use exit 301 off of 40 to get to 440 don't use any other exit than than 301 from 40 going east to 440...or you will end up the wrong side of the 440 belt.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Except for a couple of short stretches on US 64 and Hwy 12, on the outer banks, you will have 4 lane highways, assuming you choose the I-85 to I-40 route. (Hwy 49 from Charlotte to Raleigh is less distance, but is a lot of two-lane and not as fast.

It's about a 7-hour drive, not counting stops. We could do it in one day, but that's not how we like to travel, especially since we would stop twice to walk the dogs.

In the Rodanthe area you should look at the Hatteras KOA and Camp Hatteras Campgrounds. (Some like the Waves Campground a short distance south of Rodanthe.)

PS. The title of your thread doesn't seem fitted to your questions. A different subject line might draw in more members with direct knowledge of the route.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Last year, we took our 24 passenger church bus, pulling a 12 ft box trailer full of tools, suitcases and supplies, down I-77 to Greensboro, across to Raleigh and then on to Nags Head on 64 and it was a fine ride. I wasn't driving, but I was riding in the bus with my 2 girls and 21 other close friends!!

We probably traveled an average of 65, but when we stopped for potty breaks, they were a minimum of 45 minutes. I think we stopped twice between Raleigh and Nags Head.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW