Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overall length

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Foaks!
We are shopping diesel pushers and having discussions about towing an enclosed trailer for auto and other items (like shoes..lol..). Anywhoo, I am having a tough time figuring out what our max legal length should be. I understand the max will vary by state, but is there some kind of 'standard', or safe zone?

Thank you!
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)
23 REPLIES 23

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
65 is max - and I would not advise even having a spare tire longer. 🙂
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a site you may want to visit regarding towing laws including length's.

http://onlinetowingguide.com/towing_laws.html

Best of luck & Safe Travels.....:)
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The above link is out of date... this ONE is newer but not necessarily current. It does have exceptions in some states for RVs that the one above does not have.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
State Towing Laws
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many states have a 65' max length. Will you be stopped if over, not likely but if you are can the DW pull the trailer with the car that is inside until out of that state or having to get an over length permit $$.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Would you be towing an enclosed trailer rather than a car? I certainly wouldn't travel that way. You need a vehicle for exploring. A diesel should have plenty of space for your stuff.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Supposedly 65 ft all highways.
From TX handbook Two- or Three-Vehicle combination other than truck-tractor & semitrailer 65 feet

45 ft MH 20 ft Trailer would be safe if loaded correctly. I went with a 12oo cap trailer, 16 inch tires and a WD hitch to keep it from wobbling.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
N7SJN wrote:
What is legal in your state with your present license? You should be good in most states with a proper license issued by your home state.

NO. Reciprocity applies to the driver's license (if you are legal in your state, you are legal in all states).

It does not apply to speed limits, weight limits, length limits, etc.

You have to adhere to the laws in each state you intend to drive in.

The number I have seen most frequently is 65'. But, DO check in those states you intend to travel in.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

N7SJN
Explorer
Explorer
What is legal in your state with your present license? You should be good in most states with a proper license issued by your home state.