cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwhelmed with choices of motorhomes

cducote
Explorer
Explorer
This is our first purchase of a motorhome. We have narrowed it down to these 3: Fleetwood, Thor, or Georgetown. Can anyone give me pros or cons of each? Our budget is <$100,000 and we like the bunk bed floor plans. We haven't found any used ones in our area so it looks like we'll have to buy new.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
41 REPLIES 41

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
JimM68 wrote:
at 100k, you can get a damned nice not too old 4 slide used diesel pusher.

So tell me why I would need a diesel? I sat on a rural highway at -60f wind chill when my diesel PU diesel gelled. My gas engine starts under all conditions. Don't tell me I need a diesel. I'm a rancher in WY. I know what diesels do in the winter. Diesels are great in warm weather when you drive them every day. I let my gasser PU sit for week
s in -25f weather and it starts every tine. Try that with a diesel.

Wow, I sure wouldn't want a diesel in that weather, nor would I want take any motorhome in that weather! That's just too darn cold.

We have never winterized our motorhome in 7.5 yrs. (2008 Monaco Dynasty) and don't plan on winterizing the new one either. We stay south in the cold months.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
JimM68 wrote:

So tell me why I would need a diesel? I sat on a rural highway at -60f wind chill when my diesel PU diesel gelled. My gas engine starts under all conditions. Don't tell me I need a diesel. I'm a rancher in WY. I know what diesels do in the winter. Diesels are great in warm weather when you drive them every day. I let my gasser PU sit for week

Have you ever seen on television the program called ICE TRUCKERS? Now you know that those truckers do not use gasoline engines on those big rigs hauling equipment way up into the coldest parts of Alaska. They are all diesel my friend. So if you like a gasoline motorhome, that is fine with me. But lets keep the posting believable. Diesel engines have always operated in the coldest parts of the world. Sometimes you have to add additives to the diesel fuel, but that is having knowledge as to what to do in those cold places.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
WyoTraveler wrote:
JimM68 wrote:

Who told you that you need a diesel? I think people are talking to the OP who asked the question. The OP didn't mention anything about driving an RV to the artic circle or Wyoming in the winter. You buy and RV to leave Wyoming in the winter.

I sure didn't tell you (or anyone else) they they needed a diesel.
I suggested to the OP and anyone else listening that 100k would buy one.

And for what it's worth, my Knight cranks right up in any weather, and spends months at a time parked outside in Chicago Winters, though I think msmith's suggestion of heading south would be preferable.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

cducote
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions! The Fleetwood seems to be the best choice. We love the floor plan and it sounds like it is well made. I'm sure we'll be browsing this forum often!

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
WyoTraveler wrote:
JimM68 wrote:

Who told you that you need a diesel? I think people are talking to the OP who asked the question. The OP didn't mention anything about driving an RV to the artic circle or Wyoming in the winter. You buy and RV to leave Wyoming in the winter.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

offthewall
Explorer
Explorer
cducote wrote:
This is our first purchase of a motorhome. We have narrowed it down to these 3: Fleetwood, Thor, or Georgetown. Can anyone give me pros or cons of each? Our budget is <$100,000 and we like the bunk bed floor plans. We haven't found any used ones in our area so it looks like we'll have to buy new.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I'd drop Thor and Georgetown from your list and add Winnebago (Itasca), Tiffin and Newmar.
2010 Itasca Meridian V Class 34Y
NJ tag: "THE RV"

2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Toad
NJ tag: "BLKJEEP"

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:

X2 I agree with Jim.

Just the ride alone would be worth going to a used diesel pusher.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Idahosrt10
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2014 Fleetwood Storm 32H will be up for sale after Thanksgiving...well under $100K. All the bugs are worked out and we have over $2000 in mods on the suspension alone.
2014 Fleetwood Storm 32H

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Ray & June wrote:
hanko wrote:
Here is something you need to take into consideration. Only Tiffin and Newmar use the Ford 24,000 lbs chasis on the 35ft and larger gas coaches. All other use the 22,000. My buddy bought a new 37 Thor Challenger. Adding full gas,water hes at his max GWVR. Also the Fleetwood and Thor 36 and 37 ft coaches have a 228 inch wheel base, which is way to short for a coach that size

Winnebago uses 24,000 lb chassis on their Adventurer 37F, and a 26,000 lb chassis on the 38Q. Itasca does the same on their equivalent models.

My 34 ft Monaco is on a 24k chassis. Fiber glass roof, heat pumps, EMS, W/D, electric heater in wet bay, air bed in sofa, central vac. etc. Still finding stuff I didn't know it had. Charger keeps start battery charged when plugged in. All new for $110k. Dealers are out there if you search them out.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I was thinking the OP was also looking at used rigs not just new.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
just checked the 38 Q list for $190,000 39 ft long one ft shorter wheelbase than my 36ft open road. That aint right. ILL bet that due does wheelies down the road
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
I can tell you this, My 36LA open road has a 252 inch wheel base, rides great, handles great, is quiet, the fit and finnish is superb, I havent had as much as a loose nut or bolt. Im sure the winnies and newmars are as equally good
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
Ray & June wrote:
hanko wrote:
Here is something you need to take into consideration. Only Tiffin and Newmar use the Ford 24,000 lbs chasis on the 35ft and larger gas coaches. All other use the 22,000. My buddy bought a new 37 Thor Challenger. Adding full gas,water hes at his max GWVR. Also the Fleetwood and Thor 36 and 37 ft coaches have a 228 inch wheel base, which is way to short for a coach that size

Winnebago uses 24,000 lb chassis on their Adventurer 37F, and a 26,000 lb chassis on the 38Q. Itasca does the same on their equivalent models.

Yes your right, but I didnt think he wanted to spend $180,000 on a Giant gas coach. I still should have mentioned that

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar