cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Plastic inside fridge starting to yellow

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Out rig isn't even a year old and there's spots where yellowing is starting inside the fridge. It wasn't this way when we winterized it. None of the rigs we've owned ever did this.

It's a side by side with freezer on the bottom. Cooling was shut down when we winterized. The only issue I see is I can't prop the doors open as the lights inside still stay on, even though cooling is shut off. Maybe this is the problem?

Anyone else have the same issue. Has anyone found anything to remove them. A quick wipe with water failed so I know it's discoloration of the plastic.

thanks
8 REPLIES 8

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Try L.A. Totally Awesome found at the Dollar Store or Dollar Tree(sometimes Walmart). Takes the yellow off a lot of things...hope it works for you.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Schertz
Explorer
Explorer
Found this site online. Might help your situation; I have not tried it.

www.retrofixes.com/2013/10/how-to-clean-whiten-yellowed-plastics.html
2013 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Cadillac SRX

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
wolfe10 wrote:
The light is 12 VDC, so very likely a fuse.

He stated side by side with freezer on the bottom. Must be a 120 residential. Doug

Thanks, Doug.

Suspect that is exactly what is going on.

So, 120 VAC breaker it is!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
wolfe10 wrote:

He stated side by side with freezer on the bottom. Must be a 120 residential. Doug

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly, but it's a breaker on my RR. In any case one or the other will turn off the light. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help you with the stains, but the next time you need to completely shut down the fridge you can turn off the breaker.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
A cleaner with bleach might help.

But you NEED to find a way to kill the power to those lights so you can ventilate it during storage.....or a little yellowing might be the least of your worries. Other colors might appear. And your batteries might suffer, unless you leave it plugged in, of course.

Then again, there might not be anything you can really do because of the type of plastic used. The plastics on the outside of my C yellowed badly; most noticeable was the rear view mirrors.

Except for venting, you might just have to live with it.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"