cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plates or blocks for stabilizer jacks

dmctlc
Explorer
Explorer
Being only several months in the Class A still finding lots of questions especially as I wind down from my first camping trip. All the years with my TT I kept blocks of wood to place under my scissor jacks to help on level ground and to provide support when on dirt or grass. Not a great deal of weight sat on them for the most part compared to a MH but now I'm wondering do I need to add plates or blocks for my MH to my arsenal of things to keep with it when traveling? Lot more weight as well as pressure and I would think wood unless really built up would break. Discussed it with my son, the mechanic and I was going to have him weld me some handles on aluminum plates similar to what we use our quint/ladder truck on the Fire Dept. I'm on, for the stabilizers when deployed but start wondering if it's really needed and if so how thick should the plates be...1/4', 3/8", etc.. My rig is the 31L5 Georgetown, weighs in probably around 9 1/2 - 10 tons loaded for camping though that's another step I need to take is get this weighed. Looking for inputs from the experts and more experience folks,
Thxs
Dana & wife Terri
Daughter - Stephanie
Granddaughter - Callie (9 y/o)
Son - Phillip
Granddaughter - Charlotte (1 1/2 y/o)
American Cocker Spaniel- Shadow
2018 Georgetown Series 5 GT5 31L5
6 REPLIES 6

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always use them out of habit no matter the surface. Made mine out of two squares of plywood sandwiching a 2x6 board, put the plywood at opposing angles(grain wise) using the 2x6 in between. Have had these same blocks of wood for around 12 years. I use them under the wheel's too if necessary.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Some parks we have been to require some kind of pad no matter what their surface. We just got in the habit of placing some of the thick plastic jack pads under them no matter where we. We also use the yellow wheel chocks to prevent rolling in case the rear wheels come of the surface. Less to think about that way.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Jack Pads
This is what we have been using for nearly 10 years now. Work Great!
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

padre1944
Explorer
Explorer
Don't need anything unless the ground is soft grass or very loose gravel.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I use pads under my jacks whenever I am not on a solid surface such as concrete. They give a larger surface so the jacks do not dig into the surface. I use the Outdoors for Life pads and really like them. They come with a bag and handles that make it easier to place and remove the pads. There are other manufacturers of jack pads. Some folks make their own out of wood.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Bruce_Brown
I got a sheet of 3/4" plywood then cut it into 18" squares. I then laminated them in 2 and 3 thickness pieces (1-1/2" & 2-1/4" thick plates) for use under the jacks as needed. For ease of removal I drilled 1" holes in each corner and use my awning rod to pull them out when the jacks come up.

I've been doing it this way for about 15 years now and it works well for us.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910