cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me identify what this is

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
I found a slow coolant leak coming from a hose connected to the side of the rad near the bottom on the passenger side. At first I thought this was a heater hose but it does not show up on any ford parts lists. I dropped by the dealer and they suggested something aftermarket.

This is on a 2006 Jayco Greyhawk, E450 6.8L v10

The leak appears to be from a metal fitting screwed into the rad. The metal fitting has an attached rubber hose about 8" long, the hose couples to a metal tube that runs all the way back to the transmission. Could this be a supplemental cooler?

Any suggestions for fixing the leak? I'm hoping the rad isn't cracked where this fitting is attached (crossed fingers)

Here is a picture of the leaky fitting
6 REPLIES 6

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
2KGeorgieBoy wrote:
That is the OEM transmission cooler and the other is an axillary cooler added on by either the factory or the RV builder. At the other end of the tank there should be another fitting and hose that connects to that other cooler and then a hose from it goes back to the tranny. The coolant leak you see is because that fitting, which is part of the cooling coil setup inside the tank has a gasket that seals it to prevent coolant leakage. In this case it is starting to fail or the plastic tank has developed a small crack. If the tank is cracked, replacement is probably the only option and I doubt if the gasket is serviceable, either. Note that you may have another auxillary cooler also mounted in front of the radiator to cool the power steering and definitely an AC condenser radiator.

Can you explain how the transmission cooler works? I thought transmission fluid was circulated through the rad to cool it?

2KGeorgieBoy
Explorer
Explorer
That is the OEM transmission cooler and the other is an axillary cooler added on by either the factory or the RV builder. At the other end of the tank there should be another fitting and hose that connects to that other cooler and then a hose from it goes back to the tranny. The coolant leak you see is because that fitting, which is part of the cooling coil setup inside the tank has a gasket that seals it to prevent coolant leakage. In this case it is starting to fail or the plastic tank has developed a small crack. If the tank is cracked, replacement is probably the only option and I doubt if the gasket is serviceable, either. Note that you may have another auxillary cooler also mounted in front of the radiator to cool the power steering and definitely an AC condenser radiator.

marly
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with TusconJim except I would not put the whole dose in. A teaspoon full would probably fix it and leave some for another time. It is a good thing to carry for emergency use. I did auto body repair for over 3o years and learned to put a small amount in every vehicle from which I removed the radiator or hoses. Have the engine hot and running with the radiator cap off before you add it. Do not add to the overflow or fill tank.

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
mikeh449 wrote:
that is the standard transmission oil cooler
Two problems with this are:
1) the leak is coolant, not transmission fluid
2) there is another radiator in front of the main radiator that looks to be the transmission oil cooler

mikeh449
Explorer
Explorer
that is the standard transmission oil cooler

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I'd add one tube of Alumaseal to the radiator and see if that stops the leak. I'm pretty confident it will. I've been using it since the 1970s. Many manufacturers use it too.

Alumaseal
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)