cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private purchase in Texas - need title for Michigan

tyoungs
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a new to us 2017 Entegra Aspire in Texas from a private party. All went well and we brought the unit home to Michigan on the Texas plates with our own insurance on the unit. Previous owner has received a release of lien letter from BOA and they say in the letter that they have released the lien electronically and that previous owner will receive a paper title in 4 to 6 weeks.
Michigan Secretary of State office says we need the paper title from Texas to title in Michigan (maybe even to transfer my plates from our previous motor home).
My question is this typical to take 4-6 weeks to get the paper title or is there a way to expedite getting the Texas title. For instance, can the previous owner take the release of lien letter to Texas DMV and get a title sooner??
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tom & Mary plus Lilli the Havanese
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B,
450 Cummins, Spartan K2
HRRVC #106803
2017 Buick Enclave toad:)
RV.NET Rallies attended - 6
26 REPLIES 26

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
From my experience:
If you take the title and the BoA letter to a SoS office, they will set up a new title, charge you the MI Sales tax and license fees and issue a new plate. It should be that simple.

I have bought and sold several vehicles with leans on the title and a latter of discharge and never had an issue.

Things can change, but try it as soon as you can. Michigan has a relatively short legal transfer time.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
I would have never paid a penny until i held the title in my hands. Best wishes...

Posts like this show how supportive SOME people are of posters asking for advise. I would have avoided the stupid remarks and moved on to the next subject. :S

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck Tom. 10M might need to wait a month to see the new toy.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
In looking at Mi dmv site. It appears you may be able to get a 30 or 60 day temporary tag. Apparently some SOS sites are able to offer these with proof of ownership (cant get the site to open the faq on it) and proof of insurance.
Insurance you have, but the part of the site I could view did not give options for the ownership other than saying "like" a Mi car title.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, It can take that long. As to the plates. IF the seller left his plates on the Motorhome, he was an idiot. ANYTHING that Motorhome did that violated the law was on HIM, not you. Also, YOU violated the law by using his Texas plates. But, this rarely even gets caught. In Texas, You REMOVE your plates on all registered vehicles when sold. It is up to the buyer to determine what they need for temp plates until regular plates are paid for and installed. Also, even if he left the plates ON, if he was smart(he is not or he would have removed the plates) you can go online in Texas to the DMV and register that vehicle as no longer yours and this relieves you of any responsibility for what happens after that date/time stamp. Yes, he could attempt to expedite the Title, but I doubt he would want to waste his time. This type problem is on a DEALER when sold thru a Dealership and the dealer has people that know how to expedite and get it done quicker. BUT, even at the Dealer level it can take a few weeks. Dealers use Fed Ex to get the Titles from the lenders in a few days to speed up the process. Doug

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Couple of questions/assumptions.

I assume you have a copy of the BOA letter, if not, get one.
I assume you have a signed bill of sale, if not, get one.
Are the “Texas plates” temporary ones you got while in Texas or the PO’s? Here it’s illegal for the new owner to use the old plates. When you sell a car here, the P.O. is obligated to turn in the tags to the DMV. But I’m sure not everyone does.

Yes it can take some time to get the title, one of the reasons you have 45 days to register it (Here anyway).
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I suspect if you want to stay legal, the RV is going to sit until it comes thru.

We ran into a similar issue with a Michigan dealer. Apparently, he accidentally showed us a trailer that was traded in but they hadn't got the title yet from out of state. We liked it and put an offer but they couldn't sell until they had the title in hand (and we would have wanted clear title anyway). 2 weeks after the date they said the title processing should be complete, we moved on and bought elsewhere.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

path1
Explorer
Explorer
We sold rv, gave bill of sale to new owners. Took 6 weeks for bank to send new owners pink slip. Bank said documents stored off site and that's how long it took. I suppose it varies place to place. My experience 8 years ago... maybe system has improved since then.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd call the TX DMV and discuss MI requirements and see what they say.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I can't tell you about motorhomes, but we bought my wife's new to her car in Texas a few months ago (we live in Louisiana 20 miles from the Texas state line), and it took about 5 weeks to get the Texas title paperwork from the dealership and Louisiana plates. It was sort of an odd situation, it was a 2017 with 5,400 miles on it, owned by the dealership, but could not be sold as new due to having over 5,000 miles. I don't remember exactly how long it took, but I do recall we were getting close to the expiration of the 60 day temporary paper plates. As I recall the dealer warned us it might take a while due to the way Texas handles title paperwork.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
In NC it takes about a month and then they sign it over to you which is when the money usually changes hands. You bought something without getting the title, bad idea.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer