Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane Tank/Gauge

SteveMissingDix
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

I have/had a leak around the gauge, where the plug screws into the tank.
I want to repair it and thought I would take the plug out, put tape on the threads, and tighten it back in and see if that would fix it. I started unscrewing it (yes, the tank is now empty), and when I turned it one whole turn it became loose--but when trying to turn it any further there is resistance now which I assume is the float getting hung up.

My question is, I want to disassemble this but don't want to hurt anything in the process. I would like to get your educated opinion on this. A picture is attached. There is the manual gauge and an electronic gauge as well.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129918769@N06/16093244257/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129918769@N06/16277322641/

Thanks,
Steve
4 REPLIES 4

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Consider stopping in to a commercial propane outfit - might take the guess work out of the situation. I regularly fill up at Suburban Propane and they have done another of small jobs for me for free. Worth a phone call.
Kevin

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The tanks are designed to have the float and fill valve removed while installed on the motorhome. If you are positive that the float is hitting the tank OR the fill valve float, then you may have to remove the tank to allow the float to hang free and not hit anything. I use Rector Seal no. 5 for sealing these type threads. It is Yellow and will seal threads past 3500psi which a LP tank will never come close to. HP and Lowes carry it. Doug

What type motorhome is this on and what size LP tank?

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Tank will have to be empty also.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a lot of years since I took an ASME tank apart, but as I recall, you need to remove the tank from the vehicle and position it with the gauge on top so the float hangs straight down from the opening.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate