cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Questions about a 1996 Bounder m 30E

doug_mel
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to look at a 1996 Fleetwood Bounder m 30e on a Ford chassis. I talked to the owner and he says tires are 3 years old, brakes are 2 years old. It has about 35k miles. The generator doesn't work, and he thinks the armature is bad. Any ideas on a repair cost for this? Also, he said there is a issue with intermittent trouble starting which he attributes to a possible bad ignition switch. Is this a big deal to replace? The asking price is very good, but with these two issues, I'm uncertain about repair costs. I plan on checking all appliances, look for leaks, etc. Is there anything else specific I should look out for on this model?
Doug
6 REPLIES 6

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Passin Thru wrote:
Which Onan? There are 35 models.

4 KW gasoline came standard in all Bounders in 1996 and 97. I don't know the model number, but it is green cover on the box - if that helps. .

Fred.

Fred, did you mean to say "4 kw gasoline was standard in all Bounders in 1996 & 97 WITH ONE AC"?
Two AC units had larger generators.

There is a starter relay under the dog house that is a known issue with intermittent starter engagement. I believe one of our members has a picture of its location.

Found the pic! Look below the red circle for the black device with two screws showing. That is the starter relay.

Richard
95 Bounder
32H F53
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the same year and model that you are asking about.......I'd be glad to help out in any way I can........
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:

4 KW gasoline came standard in all Bounders in 1996 and 97. I don't know the model number, but it is green cover on the box - if that helps. .

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
What you can check to make sure that this is the problem is disconnect the wire going to the starter, then check the ignition system by turning it on and off, see if you get 12 volts each time. By hooking up something with a load, such as a 4 amp fog light, you will quickly determine if it is working or not.

Chances are that the starter is the problem. You can test it too. Use a momentary on-off switch, they are sold at auto parts stores with alligator clips already on them. Test the starter by pressing the button, each time the starter should spin the motor.

What else can go wrong? Fuel pressure relay? Fuel filter clogged? Does it work well while climbing a mountain?

I really like the layout of my Bounder. I actually have a 97 that was built and delivered to me on November 8, 1996. They actually built the RV a week earlier, but had no couches, and I had to wait another week for the RV to arrive from nearby Riverside Factory. It had 80 miles on it. I also got to tour the factory in the summer of 96. It was interesting to see how the walls where built, and installed on the frame, and furniture installed. They pump water into the tanks, and make sure it does not leak into the basement area.

I had to change my rear brake pads around 25,000 miles due to a leaking axle seal, but the pads where not worn out, just covered with rear axle fluid, and smoking when warm. .. I did not change the front pads yet.

As for the generator, a new one might be in the $3,000 range, give or take a thousand. If you feel that you will really need it, get a exact quote before making a offer.

My 30E has the optional layout, with the couch behind the drivers seat, and on the passenger side I have a third Captains chair, just like the passenger one, 5 feet behind the passenger seat, and I built a table between them. I just did not like the dinette in my last motorhome, and decided to get this option from the factory.

Good luck on your purchase!

Fred.

Escapees.com

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I have the same model. I question the ignition switch as the problem, more likely the starter motor, but who knows. I would look into it more before taking the steering column apart. I have to eat dinner now, and will write back soon. Or later. .

Fred.

Escapees.com