cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quikee Step problem

Leeblev
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 Newmar Kountry Star with Quickee step (2 steps). I have noticed it operating sporadically for some time. At first, I thought it was the sensor on the door, because I could clean the plug on the door and on the wall and the step would operate. But then, it got to the point where cleaning no longer worked. I took the plugs out, cleaned the debris (metal) off of the magnet, and made sure the pickup in the wall was clean. Didn't work. I checked the plug underneath going to the motor device and couldn't find anything wrong. It has 12v going to the motor, but not operating the motor, so electric isn't an issue.
When it was working, I did not detect any sign of hangup, rubbing or any interference with the steps opening.
Has anybody had this issue? What did you do to correct it? Any help appreciated.
Lee

2001 36' Kountry Star DP

46 REPLIES 46

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer

I can see it from the front, but there is only about an inch of clearance.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Did you look at other end of linkage for access?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Disconnect the linkage from the motor.
You should have done this before trying to test motor to insure that the step is not bound up!

I would have, but I’m not sure how to access the cotter pin since the steps are retracted?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Disconnect the linkage from the motor.
You should have done this before trying to test motor to insure that the step is not bound up!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
So, I disconnected the servo motor completely. I then attached a negative lead from a 12v battery charger to one motor wire, then touched the positive charger clip to the other wire. Got a spark and a hum from the motor, but no movement. Reversed the process, same thing. My guess is that the motor is bad. Heck, it’s at least 22 years old.

If that’s the case, since the steps are stuck retracted, is there a recommended process for getting them extended or removed so I can get to the motor?

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Here
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar, but not identical document.
Do you have a link to the one you show?

Regards,
Jack

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Wrangler JKU

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:

O.K., so these are just wire connectors, big and funky looking, but still just basically a splice? And, the red and yellow wires are both positive (+), the motor is just grounded to the frame?
Therefore, it should be safe the disconnect both wires, hook them one at a time to a 12v power source and see if the motor will respond/move the steps in or out, depending?

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Wrangler JKU

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
These wires connect the controller to the step motor. They are housed in a small, rubber insulated metal box.
Can anyone tell me what it is, other than a connector of some sort?

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
My first rv the steps stopped working and went to the local junk yard and got a window motor for 10 bucks.

2015 Wrangler JKU

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
I had the "stuck extended" problem not long ago.
I got under the step, disconnected the 2-wire connector at the motor, hooked jumper leads to the coach batteries, and tried actuating the motor. Nothing, just clicked. reversed the leads, and the steps started to retract. So, ensuring that hands and arms were out of the way, I retracted the steps fully, then extended them a couple of times.
I re-connected the motor connector, and the steps have been working fine ever since.
I have no idea what went wrong, nor do I have any idea what I did that solved the problem, but the steps are working now
I guess that is all that matters...

Well, I’m going to try jumping the motor one more time. Hoping it doesn’t throw sparks like the first time!? It all seemed so simple?
I’ll let you know.
And, thanks for the help!

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I had the "stuck extended" problem not long ago.
I got under the step, disconnected the 2-wire connector at the motor, hooked jumper leads to the coach batteries, and tried actuating the motor. Nothing, just clicked. reversed the leads, and the steps started to retract. So, ensuring that hands and arms were out of the way, I retracted the steps fully, then extended them a couple of times.
I re-connected the motor connector, and the steps have been working fine ever since.
I have no idea what went wrong, nor do I have any idea what I did that solved the problem, but the steps are working now
I guess that is all that matters...
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
Gottahaveit wrote:
Had exact same problem..Ordered new motor from Amazon. A few bolts to replace and happy campers again. (put up with the sometimes works for to long)

Since the steps are retracted, I’m going to assume I’ll need to disassemble them to get at the motor?
Any idea why my attempt to jump the motor to extend the steps shorted out?