Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raise door, or install low profile A/C? Freelander 19CB

bglz42
Explorer
Explorer
Hi!

I just took deliver of a '14 Freelander 19CB. Loving it so far, BTW...

It came with a Dometic Brisk II 13,500BTU a/c unit. It puts me at 10'10" tall as the highest part of my MH. My 30x50 pole barn has a door height of 10'6". Once clear of the door, the rafters are 11'.

I am trying to decide which to do, modify the door or replace the unit? Would consider the Dometic Penguin or the Coleman Mach 8.

Modding the door would consist of lifting the door off the tracks, (it's a 12' slider), cutting the header then bracing it and replacing the tracks.

The existing A/C seems like a good one, and the low profile replacement would be more expensive. Are the ones listed good units?

Thanks in advance!

Jim in Texas
2014 Freelander 19CB
20 REPLIES 20

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure you're 10'10" ? Have you physically measured the unit, or are you going by a brochure height, which could be wrong by a few inches ?
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

bglz42
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies! I am awaiting a callback from the dealer, to see if he can arrange a swap without hurting me too bad. The unit have never been run, except to check function...

Raising the door is the second easiest option.

Lowering the floor might work in another part of the world, but on the gulf coast it would put me below the water table! LOL!! Pretty low here!

Thanks!!
2014 Freelander 19CB

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely look at all options for modifying the barn. If you want to continue RVing, you'll have the same problem with any other RV you get.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Lower the floor!

since it is a pole barn, that might work, at least a couple of ruts?
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
If you can raise the door to obtain clearance by cutting the header and raising tracks/door I think I would go that route rather than trashing a perfectly good brand new AC unit. unless you can sell it and not be out too many $$$. If you can swap it out for not too much money, might go that route.
bumpy

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lower the floor!
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT