Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Raleigh to Dallas suggestions?

ponytail_mom
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings Everyone!!

I am a complete RV newbie, so forgive any inane comments I make ๐Ÿ™‚

I am taking my first trip from Raleigh NC to Dallas. I see my Google map options, but wondered if any of you had suggestions for stops along the way?

I was hoping to pass through Uwharrie National Forest, but as I'm new, not sure about Highway 24.

How do you know which roads are good for a 34' Class A? I'm at 13' height but is there a place to see bridge heights before you get to them? And what do you do if you feel you can't go under a bridge ( do you "turn around")

Thanks for any comments!!

Cris
Thanks All!
Cris
=====================================================
I don't even OWN an RV yet...but in training :@ !
Goal for ownership: Spring 2012!
7 REPLIES 7

ponytail_mom
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am torn between only Interstates and off-the-Interstate, so will combine the two!

I'm used to the RV, have camped out a few times in local areas for testing, and now am going to see family in Dallas...first REAL road trip!

I'm glad to know about 24/27, but also about avoiding Atlanta. I do have a truck GPS, but haven't had a chance to really 'test' as I've been so local, but it is good to know this will help.

...and my Aunt lives in Little Rock, so I may just get there! I have 4-5 days for the journey there, so I'll be doing some research on hitting some of the routes suggested!

Thank you everyone. This forum is WAY better than any other forum out there!

Cris
Thanks All!
Cris
=====================================================
I don't even OWN an RV yet...but in training :@ !
Goal for ownership: Spring 2012!

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I-30 in Arkansas.

I-35 is Minnesota/Iowa/Missouri/Kansas/Oklahoma/Texas Interstate.

Stop at Clinton Presidential Library in Little Rock and Clinton boyhood home near Hope.

Gooding__R
Explorer
Explorer
If I was going from Raleigh to Dallas on my first trip I would take I-40 to I-35 in Arkansas. Lots of good things to see and pretty much a straight shot. On the I you don't have to worry about height and lots of RV parks along the way.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
If you take the southern route and want to bypass Atlanta, take US129 south to Athens & Macon GA, then US80 west into MS. I would stay on interstate of US Highways. The trucks use them and the clearances are standard. Most state roads are OK but there are exceptions. The northern route I-40 is more scenic and more to see and do but has some grades between Asheville and Knoxville.
Let us know which route you choose and then we can assist with things to see and places to stay. You can locate nice campgrounds on www.recreation.gov for all the national parks and Corps of Engineers camping.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
During your trip you will be crossing the Natchez Trace Parkway. It is a great drive and I would suggest that you get on it and travel at a relaxed pace headed south where you can exit and continue on to Dallas.

You will ok on 24-27 Go down 1 to below Sanford and hit 15-501 over to Carthage and pick up 24-27 there. Take that to the Charlotte area. I have driven this way a few times and live in the area so you will be OK......I-85 to Atlanta and pick up I-20 to Dallas. Atlanta is a traffic nightmare.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might be best if your first trip was a bit closer to home. The driveway is best. Gives you time to learn the coach systems and figure out what you forgot to pack. You've got some great state parks on Falls Lake or Lake Kerr to help break in the coach.

Raleigh to Dallas, well what's your time line? You could do a straight run taking the interstates but you'll miss a lot of stuff. If you use Google Maps to help plan click on the options and select 'Avoid Highways' and see where Google takes you. We'll jump on and off the interstates on long trips. Usually the roads are in better condition and traffic is much less. Natchez Trace came to mind first.

Concerning low clearance, there are RV and truck based GPS that will inform you of problems or you can down load various apps that will also assist you with route planning. If you're a paper map fan there are trucker based maps that will show overpass heights. I use a tablet with an app called CoPilot GPS for my in route navigation. The app has the option. Whatever you use you can test by planning a route under the low railroad bridge in Raleigh (11foot8.com) and see what happens.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53