cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re building my RV. need suggestions

thetundrawolf
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I have a 1982 Toyota Dolphin, approx 19' long.

The skin is unfortunately not in the best shape, with crinkles, tears, and holes in it. The inside is in shambles, rotted out, with a bad mold problem.

I want to use the polystyrene insulation for between the walls.

Unfortunately I am on a very tight budget.

I would like to re- skin the RV, but I need cheap suggestions. And failing that, how can I repair the tin that's already on it?
8 REPLIES 8

Imincahoots
Explorer
Explorer
Just athought about the skin to make it look better. A friend
had a run in with large tree. He repaired where need and had
decals made for MH that really jazzes it up and you could not
tell it had been damaged

thetundrawolf
Explorer
Explorer
donrebyct wrote:
Check out this forum on Foamie tiny trailers for an alternative rebuild.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=55&sid=183568eb64037679cd66dbe91394a956

It's well discussed and detailed about building a camper with foam. Foam, especially the way discussed here, is rot proof, lighter, easier to work with, and cheaper. The idea is to minimize any wood. You can use fiberglass (more expensive, toxic, and harder to use), or the favorite on the site of canvas and glue (or paint) to cover the foam.

Save all of the cabinets, appliances, windows, etc that are salvageable, then strip it down to the truck frame. You can change the layout to your needs, get rid of the overhead bed if you desire, and rebuild it any way you want to fit your needs and budget.

I would do this if I was in your shoes. Take this as an alternative idea. Good luck.

Don

I will consider it, thank you. How strong is it? I am brutal on my stuff, going offroad and whatnot. In fact my RV will be a 4x4 soon, actually, which means lots of stress and sway.

donrebyct
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this forum on Foamie tiny trailers for an alternative rebuild.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=55&sid=183568eb64037679cd66dbe91394a956

It's well discussed and detailed about building a camper with foam. Foam, especially the way discussed here, is rot proof, lighter, easier to work with, and cheaper. The idea is to minimize any wood. You can use fiberglass (more expensive, toxic, and harder to use), or the favorite on the site of canvas and glue (or paint) to cover the foam.

Save all of the cabinets, appliances, windows, etc that are salvageable, then strip it down to the truck frame. You can change the layout to your needs, get rid of the overhead bed if you desire, and rebuild it any way you want to fit your needs and budget.

I would do this if I was in your shoes. Take this as an alternative idea. Good luck.

Don

thetundrawolf
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
Get in touch with Walts RV in Fontana Ca.

I just emailed them. Thank you.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get in touch with Walts RV in Fontana Ca.

thetundrawolf
Explorer
Explorer
I do love it. It gets 20 MPGs sometimes, and is very reliable.

I have already rebuilt everything by hand, from the engine, transmission, to the rear differential. I spent thousands doing that.

Personally I do not mind too much if the aluminum sheeting on the outside is kind of messed up, people won't look twice at the motor home, but I just can't have water getting in.

It was stored by the ocean all of it's life so the rotting is pretty bad. I can't go in there without erupting into a sneezing and coughing fit the mold is so bad in the walls.

The fiberglass is a great idea, but at $23 a lineal foot I am looking at 55 or so, times two or more, plus the roof. I am looking at upwards of $2,000 just for the skin.

And RV wrecker is a great suggestion. I wonder what they charge for siding? I talked to a bone yard who had a similar Toyota Dolphin and they said the price for the aluminum siding would be huge. (Scrap value)

Does anyone know how much weight approximately is on a 19' long RV, if it's sided with aluminum?

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
The previous posted is exactly right. I can attest that there is no cheap fix to all that ails your motor home. Now if you love it and want to put countless dollars into a complete rebuild, then go for it.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, fixing all of the things you list it will be more cost effective to look for a replacement unit that is serviceable.

If your wanting the project reasons other than saving money, I'd look for RV surplus stores. There are many in northern Indiana but shipping cost would eat you alive. Large pieces will have to be truck shipped.

The metal siding is probably aluminum. I bought some replacement panels from All-Rite. Back then they had shops in CA and Conyers, GA. These are long panels and have a crating charge on top of the shipping via truck. When I ordered mine they were super fast on delivery and a perfect match.

Check out Filon. Then your going to get into adhesives that will bond it to wood framing and the insulation without melting the insulation.

Mold and rot. One area, cut it out and reframe. Multiple large areas, it's time to think about tearing it all down and starting over like they did at the factory. (See first Paragraph).

Been there done that.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman