cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

batwing replacement

lemjim
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone switchout there bat wing antanna with the King HDTV replacment head ? if so how did it come out.

Thanks, Jim
31 REPLIES 31

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to hear it is working to your expectations!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't this a lot like the age old, which side of the foil goes out when cooking in camp discussion? There will never be a true consensus no matter what so why doesn't the Mod close it? I didn't learn anything new and I don't think anyone else did either.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

lemjim
Explorer
Explorer
Well received and installed the Jack and all is well,the bat wing was 11 years old and had been beat around a little plus this Jack looks cool also. Again thanks for all the info.

Jim

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
The only ones that muddied up the thread were you and your buddy. I was a reader until people start spreading misinformation about the future of TV channels, and where they will end up... All wrong. And when someone wants to take a shot at me and the work I did on the antenna shoot-out, I'm going to say something. There's nothing worse than people making completely incorrect statements that others pick up as the truth.

You just don't get it, do you? 99.999% ....... Bla bla bla.
when ya got nothin else, draw pictures.... Want a crayon?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced the terrible batwing on my trailer with the Jack. For me the Jack is far superior in picking up stations. I now get 72 stations in my driveway where I could only get maybe 5-7 before. Even in some campgrounds where I was only getting 1 or 2 I can now get near 20 stations. And they come in without any dropping in or out!

I highly recommend the Jack.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

lemjim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for ALL the info, my bat wing has been great till I had a loose connector on my cable and when it would wiggle the picture would freeze and I would need to rescan so smart me would get out my wash brush and give it a poke so now even with a tight connection its loose in the wing , so from the post I most likely go with the king and th because of size for one thing I think the bat wing with the adapter on looks like extra junk to pick up a few more stations.
Tha nks again Jim

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I tend to support Satellite Bill.. Trust me that man knows whereof he speaks, It is his BUSINESS to know and from everything I have seen and heard.> he is good at what he does.

The Batwing, with wingman, is the best "Fringe" antenna made for RV use, You can get better ones, but they are NOT designed for RV use.. This antenna has the greatest range of all the RV antennas out there.

The JACK can not see as far.. HOWEVER, it sees a wider field so if you are closer to the towers so you have them more "Scattered" about you, it is better.

This is the trade you make and why you find folks who say "I only got 5 stateions with ___ and got 15 with the _ _ _ _ (different blanks) and someone else says the same thing.... but the other way around.

Where I park.. most of the time.. I'm better off with the Batwing.

ONE CAMPGROUND.. i'd be better off with the jack.. Just one.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
SCVJeff wrote:
The only ones that muddied up the thread were you and your buddy. I was a reader until people start spreading misinformation about the future of TV channels, and where they will end up... All wrong. And when someone wants to take a shot at me and the work I did on the antenna shoot-out, I'm going to say something. There's nothing worse than people making completely incorrect statements that others pick up as the truth.

You just don't get it, do you? 99.999% of the people that buy an antenna for their RV just want to receive a few TV channels, period. They are NOT interested in receiving every single channel that is out there, be it Spanish, public service, paid commercials, children's programming, or whatever. When I park somewhere I want the main networks, which I get with my Jack. How I get them is of no concern, as long as I can view them on my TV. I DO NOT care if there is a repeater or not or if the signal is fed through the sewer line. Why should I? I want the TV show, and do not care about the technical aspects. The technical aspects obviously interest you, which is why you did some kind of an antenna report.
If anyone wants to learn something from this thread, they now have 327 UNBIASED reviews to read, from users that travel. You gave them YOUR single opinion of a replacement antenna that may or may not be unbiased. Who knows? I am sure that you did a great job with your tests, but that should not diminish what a 100+ users have to say about their own personal experience with their antenna choice.
As a buyer, would I trust your test results or should I read all of the 327 other reviews and make up my own mind as to what is the REAL truth? I tend to believe people that do not have an agenda, but that's just me.

BTW- If you're trying to dis me for being a Ham and talking technical, you better be really careful, because this forum is loaded with hams and other technical folk that can see exactly what you're trying to do.
Hooray for the technical folks!!! :B

My day job is Director of Engineering for a television network, and I have stations all over the US, including two in Salt Lake. Like I said, if you want to debate the merits of antennas, what works, what doesn't, and why, you've come to the right place. Bring it on.
Your Mother must be proud. :B
What is there to debate? My Jack antenna works, period. I have all of the proof I need right in front of me. I gave you a bunch of reviews of the Jack antenna, and apparently for most other people, it works also, as does the Winegard sensor. Now if you want to compare bowling averages, bring it on!!!! :B

There are many reasons why the Jack and lesser Winegard antennas have the appearance of working better than the Batwing, even though that's not the case whether people realize it or not.
Did you read this sentence when you posted it? What a condescending comment. You are saying that the Jack may APPEAR to work better but people shouldn't believe their own eyes. That makes no sense since APPEARANCE is all that most people are interested in when they watch TV.

Anyone that reads this thread now has 327 unbiased reviews AND your report to help them make their own decision.

I should add that the Jack antenna DOES NOT automatically reject low VHF channels, but it was not designed to pick them up. It can still receive those channels but the range is limited.

chili_s_trip
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
If your existing Winegard antenna is working, the Jack is going to be a downgrade. Many stories of people replacing non-working or very old Winegard antennas with Jack's a getting great results. Well, of course they are!
If you stay in close to town then the Jack will perform very well, it is a good antenna. However, it will not bring in NBC in Las Vegas as they are still broadcasting NBC 3 on VHF channel 2. The Rayzar Air will also not receive these channels. The Sensar's long arms are required to receive channels 2-6 and there are still multiple markets that use channels 2-6.
If you do a search Batwing vs. Jack (or similar) you should be able to find the comparison done by JVCJeff (JCV?). It is an excellent report.

Way too many variables for you to make such a blanket statement. Our last time in Moab, Utah, we were able to use our Jack antenna and pick up 26 channels with some being as far away as Salt Lake City, Utah. This was with a range, in the mountains, of over 120 miles. Over flat land out west, our range has been greater.
There have been very very few instances where we could not pick up all three of the network channels, no matter where we are parked.

I think Bill's point was that some stations are still broadcasting in VHF and the Jack and Rayzor antennae is designed for UHF. There are still 3 stations broadcasting in VHF here in Western Michigan. The Batwing was originally designed for VHF and added the Wingman for UHF. My experience is my batwing performs as good or better than my neighbors with Jack antenna. Good luck.
Jack H
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W 8.1.
2009 Honda Fit Sport

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff - WA6EQU

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
d
Buying A Rental Class C

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Boy, you guys really got me. :B I guess I cannot depend on what is working, even tho I can see it right before my own eyes. As I said, I get the three main network channels, wherever I am parked. Maybe I am missing some channels, but I don't speak Spanish, not interested in children's programing, and some of the other garbage channels out there, so to me it is irrelevant. I never said anything about repeaters other than to say I did not care why my Jack antenna picked up a Salt Lake City channel in Moab, UT. That was jorbill2or stating that I must be receiving a repeater transmission. I mentioned I could care less since I was interested in watching the channel and didn't care how or why with my Jack antenna.

Maybe you should examine what other actual users have to say about their RV antennas. Of course they are not "experts", they are only people like me that bought, installed, and use their antenna. There are so few Rayzar antennas out there that I could not find a place that had a significant amount of reviews to compare.

King Jack: 165 reviews with 91 FIVE(highest) star rating and 21 ONE(lowest) star rating for an overall 3.9 rating King Jack antenna

Winegard Wingman: 162 reviews with 70 FIVE(highest) star ratings and 30 ONE(lowest) star ratings for an overall 3.6 rating. Wingman Antenna

JCVJeff I have just given you the reviews from 327 users that have taken the time to write various reviews of the products. Some like them, and some do not. The Jack got a higher rating from actual users, but not by much. Perhaps they did not read your report, or like me, they were more interested in results rather than rhetoric. I'm sure you are well qualified to write a report, but it appears that some people just didn't read your report and they were still happy with their antenna choice. I guessing that you are a HAM operator and just love to talk about antennas and test equipment with other HAMs. Me, I just watch TV.
Now if anyone wants to learn anything from this thread, perhaps now they can read the reviews of the 327 "users" and make up their own mind.

Well said..The OP asked "Has anyone switchout there bat wing antanna with the King HDTV replacment head ? if so how did it come out."
When the question was answered the Teckies had to jump in and tell us what is wrong with it and muddy up every thing.

When all he wanted was a straight answer from REAL USERS not a long dissertation on the technical aspects of all of the different kinds of antennas.
I like what I have, It works for me. enough said. SHEESH
Buying A Rental Class C

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
You said and I quote: "If I am receiving a crystal clear picture because of a repeater". That wasn't your quote?

BTW- If you're trying to dis me for being a Ham and talking technical, you better be really careful, because this forum is loaded with hams and other technical folk that can see exactly what you're trying to do. My day job is Director of Engineering for a television network, and I have stations all over the US, including two in Salt Lake. Like I said, if you want to debate the merits of antennas, what works, what doesn't, and why, you've come to the right place. Bring it on.

There are many reasons why the Jack and lesser Winegard antennas have the appearance of working better than the Batwing, even though that's not the case whether people realize it or not. Fortunately not everyone jumps off a cliff because everyone else does.
Jeff - WA6EQU