cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Re-coating Your Rubber Roof

Motor_City_Swag
Explorer
Explorer
My rubber roof is 13 years old and the black is starting to show through so I am wanting to re-coat it. My question is has anyone used the the dicor two part system? Dicor talks about covering your sides with plastic and spraying the cleaner/conditioner on with a hudson sprayer and then washing it off after 15 minutes with a power washer with at least 2000 psi and then applying two coats of the acrylic coating with a roller. Rolling the acrylic coating on is no big deal but the cleaner/ conditioner step looks like it may be a bit much. How did you do it and what were the results?

Motor City Swagman 2000 Bounder 36S
Ford V-10, Banks Power Pack w/ TC,
BrakeBuddy,Davis Tru Trac,Safe T Plus,Aventa II & Xplorer Sport Trac

:W
6 REPLIES 6

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
I just did mine yesterday with the dicor two part roof coating. It looked great until a few hours ago it started to rain and now I have a bunch of bubbles. I'm hoping once the rain stops and the sun hits it that they go away.

Well after a few days all the bubbles are gone.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Doc_Eagle
Explorer
Explorer
We did our with the Liquid Rubber Roof, the previous original roof was a little rough. Oh did I mention it also leaked. Used the Dicor tape to repair the leaks for the most part, the skylight in the shower also had to be replaced. Holy cow the difference in the temperature inside the camper going from a black roof to a white roof, amazing. Granted our unit is 22 foot but took a couple of hours, so far no leaks, and seems very durable.
1993 Fleetwood Flair 22D "Cat One"

USN(RET)
Fire Captain(Career)
Fire LT(Volunteer)

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I just did mine yesterday with the dicor two part roof coating. It looked great until a few hours ago it started to rain and now I have a bunch of bubbles. I'm hoping once the rain stops and the sun hits it that they go away.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

drf004
Explorer
Explorer
I re-coated the roof of our 14 year old Georgie Boy Motorhome last year with the 2-part Dicor product. It has held very very well! No flaking, no lifting, nice and tight. The two part system is really easy to use just be sure you do not apply the cleaner part in full sun. As far as using a pressure washer, mine was a 2200psi unit and worked great. I was careful and it cleaned it beautifully!

When you tape the plastic to the sides do not use standard masking tape! Once it gets wet it is very difficult to remove, use blue or green painters tape instead.

Good Luck!

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Motor City Swagman,
Yes Sir, I've done the exact system you're looking at. It was the Dicor two part system. Yes, we did tape the sides of the coach with visqueen and followed the instructions to the letter. My son and I did it to our previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V. At the time we did it, about 5 years ago, the roof was almost completely black due to the deterioration of the white coating over time.

Well, some say to leave it alone, and don't put anything on it. Well, that's up to them. But any human on this planet knows just what "Black" does in temperatures to anything it's attached to or, on top of. So, yes, I went with the Dicor system.

But, here's the deal, If you do it as the instructions say, and, as we did it, it's all done in one day. Yes Siree-bub, it was a serious amount of work in ONE DAY. But, it was all worth it.

We got up at 6:00, had the washed and dried by about 07:30. Then, taped off the sides with visqueen. Then, appied the cleaner prep/conditioner/primer, what ever they call it. Then, up came the pressure washer. Well, guess what, that took care of the visqueen. So, I just had the wife down below with a garden hose continually sprinkling water on the sides so that chemical system did no damage.

Then, by about 10:30 or 11:00. the roof was dry and ready for the first coat. By about 2:00 or 3:00, it was ready for the second coat.

When it was all said and done, about 4:00 in the afternoon, without a doubt, it was worth every inch of effort. And, like stated, it was done about 5 years ago and, it looks as good today. I cannot attest for any other product, just that one. If, I had a rubber roofed coach today, and really wanted to keep that rubber roof, which there is no way I'd want to, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. But, like stated, I'd not keep the rubber roof, I'd have the whole roof spayed with the "bed liner" stuff they use in pickup beds. They're seriously stronger and way more durable and considerably quieter. And, they're guaranteed to be that good for 20 years.
Scott
Here's a picture of how it looked the next day after we did it.
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I'd advise against the acrylic coating. It doesn't always stay on as it should.
Go back with the same materials as original.
Pro Guard Liquid Roof is the best solution.
Liquid Roof is a little harder to work with but gives a better longer lasting solution.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson