cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ready brake indicator light - where to tap into

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Installing my ready brake dash indicator light today. Says I need to tap into a 12v source. Any suggestions on what some of you that have it tapped into? Was thinking of bringing it up the front of the doghouse and tapping into the radio lead.
2013 ACE 29.2
6 REPLIES 6

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have my ReadyBrake dash LED also wired directly to the toad brake circuit via a diode pack so it only lights when the toad brake switch is tripped. I was able to pick up the brake wire behind the driver side kick panel while I was hooking up the directionals, tail lights, and brake lights from the coach there.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Installing my ready brake dash indicator light today. Says I need to tap into a 12v source. Any suggestions on what some of you that have it tapped into? Was thinking of bringing it up the front of the doghouse and tapping into the radio lead.

Where are you mounting the thing. I've installed two by drilling a small hole in the removable dash panels for the LED, then just grabbing what ever was close by and if I remember correctly, one was the hot side of a switch and the other was a DC outlet. The rest of it, which you probably know already, consists of one wire going back to the rear of the coach for the ground return. They provide a connector on the READYBRAKE itself for this, but I went a step further with making up a relay circuit on my toad's third brake light, so that it's now fail safe positive for the toad's brake pedal actually being depressed. No guessing with the indictor light now and I can still switch over to the one provided at will. They do it this way because of all the toad variables and I think they even have an optional kit for doing something like I've done. Naturally, I like my way better and especially since it didn't cost me a penny with what I had on hand.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
In the case of the ready brake it's tied to the actuator arm not the toad brakes. I just jumped on the cig lighter . Easy. Thanks guys.
2013 ACE 29.2

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
This indicator light illuminates when the toad brakes are applied to let the MH driver know 2 things: the toad's braking system is working and the toad brakes are not sticking on. The 2 wires need to be spliced into the toad's brake light circuit. Because of so many wires on my toad's brake switch located on the brake pedal, I ran a wire to the back of my toad and and connected to the wire that operates the toad brakes. The other wire I connected to a ground.

Ray

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Any 12 volt source will do, radio, cigarette lighter etc. Often, there are blanks in your fuse panel if it's near by. That way you can add the wire and a fuse all in one shot. Some fuse panels will have a post where you can add a spade connector and be covered by the adjacent fuse.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
My coach was setup for CB radio (which I don't have or want). I tapped into the CB power wire. It's been so long, I don't remember whether that wire is powered all the time, or only when the ignition switch is on. Makes no difference; I only need to see the Ready Brake indicator when the ignition is on. It works great.

That indicator light uses very little power, so I think it would work fine for tapping into your radio power wire.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V