cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

real world fuel mileage

pump-dump-go
Explorer
Explorer
Checking to see about fuel mileage on your Class C, with or without toad.
32 REPLIES 32

Sfla2
Explorer
Explorer
it would be SO NICE if everybody would at least put in their info abt rig esp size so we;re not compearing a 22' to a 31 . of course it would difff mpg
98 Coachmen "C" Santara Model FL (Front Lounge) 30.4
Ford V 10 Super Duty (same as E 450)

pump-dump-go
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input, I guess I'll continue my search for a Class A, seems like the fuel mileage is not that bad considering the extra room we will enjoy.
Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

J_L_Rivera
Explorer
Explorer
7 mpg
Lake Front Property
2007 Itasca Spirit 31C
2008 Crestliner 1800 Super Hawk

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
The Logans wrote:
We get 8 to 10 MPG depending on wind and terrain. I drive by the tachometer, and 2100 to 2200 RPM (about 58 to 60 MPH) gives us the best mileage.

Anything much over 60 MPH, and the mileage goes down dramatically. It took me years to realize it, but it's all about being safe and enjoying the journey, rather than getting somewhere fast.

500 miles at a steady 60mph = 8.33 hours
At 65? 7.69 hours
At 70? 7.14 hours

When you run the numbers, getting in a hurry hardy seems worth it ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
An RV wouldn't get good gas mileage on the way down if it fell out of a tree. However, when you compare it to driving a car and staying in Hotels where you live out of a suitcase, have to wear shoes all the time to keep your feet from sticking to the carpet and where last night's top sheet becomes tonight's bottom sheet with a clean top sheet added, I'll stick with the RV. And don't forget adding all your meals in restaurants. I know, because I traveled for the company before I retired.
If you must do the math and you don't like the answer, stop doing the math.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it just me or do you all experience nature's head wind regardless of direction? I'll look out a side window at tall grass far from the road and the wind always leans it into the direction we are coming from. We head west to go on vacation and we have a head wind. Weeks later we are going back home and sure enough, we have a head wind again.

Murphy's Law! ๐Ÿ˜ž

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
8.2 MPG over the past 30,000 miles. Individual fill-up mileages ranged from just under 5 MPG to just over 12 MPG, depending on driving conditions: mostly cruise speed, headwinds and tailwinds, and for a couple of trips, grades.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
There are lots of real worlds. 24' E450 Class C 9.2 MPG overall. Range 7.8 to 11 MPG.

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
We get 8 to 10 MPG depending on wind and terrain. I drive by the tachometer, and 2100 to 2200 RPM (about 58 to 60 MPH) gives us the best mileage.

Anything much over 60 MPH, and the mileage goes down dramatically. It took me years to realize it, but it's all about being safe and enjoying the journey, rather than getting somewhere fast.
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Real world fuel mileage ??? There are just so many variables. It all depends on the size of the unit, where and how it is driven, and how the mpg is calculated. I know with my previous 24' Class C, over 4 years of trips, I averaged 10.3 mpg. I saw anywhere from 7-12 mpg on trips. All these mpg figures are from my scan gauge, since I never hand calculated mpg.
My 31K has been between 7 and 9.5ish. The average might be a little over 8. Haven't bothered to figure it out.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Detailed Hand-Calculated Trip Average (5000 mile round-trip journey) is quite consistent from one year/trip to the next.

All stock 2007 E350 chassis with 6.8L-V10 engine and Torqshift transmission.
- 9.5 mpg towing the Jeep Liberty pictured
- 10.5 mpg not towing anything

I think we could improve fuel economy a little if we were not trying to make better time across the great plains.

Also the generator steals fuel which is negatively but marginally influential as we don't run it that much.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
30 ft class c V-10. MPG ranges 7 to 11 with toad. Depends lot's on wind and terrain.
Jayco-noslide

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 55, about 7 to 8 mpg.
At 62, about 8 to 9 mpg.
at 72, about 6 mpg.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have averaged 9 mpg over the past few years towing my Subaru and running the genny occasionally.

Chevy 6.0L, about 12000 lbs.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
We just did this on another thread over the last week and the average for a class C all sizes was 8.3mpg and that was at a 60mph speed and towing a toad or not. Drive fast get less..... drive slower did not matter.

Here is the link CLICK
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad