cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear roof leak now causing buckling, how serious is this?

wealthwise
Explorer
Explorer
Hello group, sometime ago I posted about advice to seal a rear leak on our 36 foot Allegro Bay. Everyone agreed to used Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant and eternabond, so in early Sept. I believe it was, I found a video on Youtube that showed how to do it with Dicor, no mention of eternabond, so I figured I would just use the lapt sealant, the first rains came and no further sign of leaks or damage, then upon further checking, I noticed moisture in the one of the mini closets in the bedroom and I realized their was still some kind of leak, it has rained consistently since, today was the first chance I could get up on the roof and inspect and what I found isn't pretty and I'm very concerned I have photos and have taken some video please take a look and help me assess this and give me an Idea where I stand regarding, temporary fix, tarp, what kind of cost is involved in fixing this kind of damage, will it need a whole roof over?

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/wealthwise/IMAG0380.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/wealthwise/IMAG0662-1.jpg Before applying Lap Sealant, should this have been removed?
Other side. the video shows it better.
Video
Thanks
1994 Tiffin Allegro Bay 32 Foot Diesel Pusher
5 REPLIES 5

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Another thought.

In addition to a tarp consider putting some boards under the wheels to give the rig a tilt so water runs away from where the leak might be - doesn't cost much and it will help mitigate the problem until you get warmer/dryer weather for a permanent fix.
Kevin

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ken,I would scrape away all of the sealant, remove the vinyl bead from the track and you will probably see rusted screws underneath. Once you remove the screws you can lift the EPDM rubber and see how bad the wood damage is underneath the roof. Replace the wood if necessary if not too bad just let it dry out real good. I would bond the rubber roof to the wood before screwing the metal strip back down and replacing the vinyl insert.You will most likely need new screws. Then seal it real good with caulking or Eternabod tape. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely tarp it if you can't get the Allegro under a roof. Secure the tarp so the wind doesn't remove it.
Follow the advice given above.
After you get it cleaned and repaired, you may want to consider a pressure check to make sure you fixed the leak.
Also, you may want to run a dehumidifier in your Allegro to help remove the interior moisture.

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
I'd strip all old material, clean the whole area, sand as required to get clean roof material exposed, then seal with eternabond tape. hoping there is no rot under the roof.

X2, I would cover with a tarp after getting the area cleaned up and open again so the roof has a chance to dry out, then use the Eternabond tape and the Dicor self-leveling lap sealant on the flat part of the roof and Dicor non self-leveling lap sealant on the curved part. It looks to me like the roof is trying to delamnate because of moisture trapped inside. It is going to take a long time to dry out with it being winter so do not rush the job. If you trap moisture inside it will continue to rot the roof and then you will have an even bigger mess to contend with.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I'd strip all old material, clean the whole area, sand as required to get clean roof material exposed, then seal with eternabond tape. hoping there is no rot under the roof.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.