cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reducing push/pull from tractor trailers passing

brooksrimes
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV, class C.

Attached are links for a Hellwig 7180 rear sway bar, a Supersteer SS451 rear trac bar and rear Sumo springs SSR-130-54. Which would have the greatest benefit in reducing the push/pull from large tractor trailers passing us on the interstates?

https://www.hellwigproducts.com/products/search-by-vehicle/?Year1=2021&Make=Ford&Model=E-450+Super+Duty

https://supersteerparts.com/products/supersteer-ss451-rear-trac-bar-for-ford-e450-2021-v8.html

https://supersteerparts.com/products/rear-sumosprings-solo-kit-for-ford-e350-e450-ssr-130-54.html
Brooks & Brenda
Visit our website
www.rv-wisdom.com
18 REPLIES 18

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Speed up? How slow are you driving that semis, most of which are governed at something under 70 mph are blowing your doors off?
Other than that, of the 3, the track bar would do the most to help that scenario. (Never knew they made a trac bar for a leaf spring suspensionโ€ฆ)
No experience with air tabs but those sound like the best thing if you canโ€™t move over, speed up or donโ€™t need suspension help.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
If I see him coming in my mirrors (don't always check them) I move a bit right in my lane and that helps a lot. Lowest cost option out there.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
When an 18-wheeler overtakes your RV, it's bow-wave of air hits the left rear of the coach first, and that pushes the rear toward the shoulder. When the body rear moves right slightly before the rear axle does, it amplifies the push to the left that you feel in the front causing you to correct by steering to the right.

As the 18-wheeler bow wave moves toward the front of the coach, it pushes the front of the coach to the right, and when the body moves right slightly before the front axle does, it amplifies the steering correction you have already done causing you to have to correct to the left.

This whole thing, if you are not used to the feelings, can be quite scary. One way to overcome that is to install Vortex Generators like Air Tabs They cut down on the dead air and drag on the rear of RV and greatly reduce the bow wave of passing trucks.

I have AIRTABS on my Class C.

They really help on a cross wind situation,no more sudden buffeting. It has stopped the sideways push when being passed or passing a large truck.

They are a vortex generator that produce a counter rotating air trail several feet behind the vehicle, This airflow alteration improves vehicle stability. As far a mileage it may helped some but the stability they provided is amazing.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I used air tabs.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.