cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refrigerator question for you class A campers

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
We have had a Winnebago View class C for about 5 years, and a 5er for the decade before. We think at times of a larger class A for part timing in retirement. Many have commercial refrigerators. How do you keep your food cold when camping in a no hookup CG such as a national park. Can’t run the generator 24/7.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View
26 REPLIES 26

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
or else the refrigerator is plugged directly into a generator.

No, the coach is plugged into the generator (or the generator is built-in) and the generator provides power to the fridge and multiple other sources in the RV. Depending upon the size of the generator it can power everything in the coach including the A/C's.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Note all the thrashing about with extra batteries, inverters and solar to have a residential refrigerator. The old absorption refrigerators performed well when install properly. Read the manufacturer's installation manual, it's an eye opener. Norcold did the RV word an injustice with their lesser materials and poor welds, causing fires.
How much room do you need in an RV refrigerator? Seldom are you far from a store.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
OUr View is our first RV but we are toying with the idea of a smallish Class A. I am a bit concerned aout the handling and towing power. Our View has been upgraded to a 7 1/2 cuibic foot unit running auto with shore power and propane. It would be nice to have a 3-way reefer.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an all electric residential refrigerator in your camper and don't have shore power, the only way to keep the refrigerator running is with an inverter and a battery bank, or else the refrigerator is plugged directly into a generator.

In our world as it exists today, you have two methods to keep your batteries charged; solar or generator.

If you don't run your generator to keep the batteries charged, solar is the only other method. Pick your method: generator or solar. There's really no other short-cut.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a RV type "Absorption cooling unit" (Refrigerator) this uses HEAT to Cool believe it or not so it can run on electricity (About 325 watts in my case which is not at all efficient) or Propane.. ONly moving parts are the gas valve and fluids inside the cooling unit (Gas and liquid) Just put a new cooling unit on it after 14 years and change last Oct. (OUCH).

Now it does use 12 volts for control and ignition but it can run a long time on a full tank of propane and a full battery bank.

I also have a 2nd Freezer. this is one of the high efficiency Compressor units (Engel) Both Dometic and Norcold have offerings in this class. Mine is a chest freezer and draws a great whomping 36 watts (3 amps at 12 volts) when running. I have over 500 amp hours of battery so you get the "how long". Even a single pair of GC-2 (220 amps hours) around 3-4 days

At one time both D and N had full size RV refrigerators using this technology but I'm finding them harder to track down now.. 35-45 watts the compressor is what I call a Danfoss class (look it up) may be a Danfoss or a competitor's but that class.

However when on the move.. I burn propane.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You planning on being out in the Arizona sun in the summer and run fridge on batteries? You OK inside a MH with no AC?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Bruce_Brown
Today's modern refrigerators use so little electricity compared to the older ones it seems to not be an issue for most.

A few years ago I put a new cooling unit in our LP fridge. If I were doing it again I'd just put in an electric one.

We recently did that in my buddies off-the-grid hunting camp. The new electric with limited generator usage works much better than the propane one we took out.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
steveandjil wrote:
We have had a Winnebago View class C for about 5 years, and a 5er for the decade before. We think at times of a larger class A for part timing in retirement. Many have commercial refrigerators. How do you keep your food cold when camping in a no hookup CG such as a national park. Can’t run the generator 24/7.

Thanks,

Steve

A battery bank properly sized to support the house loads for 24-36 hours, energy conservation, a few 100 watts of roof solar helps reduce generator dependency, generator use to recharge the bank in the morning and evenings.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Why think only about a generator? Solar recharging isn’t experimental or a toy. Most days you’ll be completely recharged with adequate system...batteries, controller, solar panels and properly sized wire. Start with an energy survey to determine your amp hour needs.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Sure - with enough batteries 😉

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
Yup meant residential. So the batteries are just run through a big inverter I assume. Can you go a day between generator runs in hot weather?
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Lots of batteries and I think you mean residential, not "commercial".